cant tell if its the lsd or a locker...

fearkobe

i have a 95 nissan pathfinder and i noticed when i turn the wheel sharp either way i can heard the back wheel grabing on the ground and i also hear the lsd or locker making noise on the back like its a gear noise kinda like its in 4x4. is this normal been making the noise ever since i got it at 170k some miles and now it has 220k. also in the morings too and i know its happened to other people here too when i get on the freeway when the truck is cold it doesnt want to get into overdrive until a few miles later then it will go into od. i changed the thermo on this awhile back and for some reason the temp gauge only goes maybe alittle more than a quater way up and it has the oem whatever temp degree you put in there. was a p.i.t.a to do since you had to remove everything just to remove and put back.

Many come with a LSD from the factory but it shouldn't make any noise, an after market mechanical locker would. Lockers can only be installed into open differentials with this vehicle, so the first thing would be to look to see if you have an orange sticker on the rear of the pumpkin (they will survive anything but a direct nuclear strike). The second would be to drain the fluid and see if any metal bits come out with it, and third, fill it with new fluid and see what it does. Ever change the diff fluids? Probably not, most people neglect them...

As for the tranny needing to warm up, this isn't unusual, I have experienced it on a 1995 and a 1999.0. The thermostat will have little to do with it.

Is there an aftermarket cooler mounted or is it just the one in the bottom of the radiator? What condition is the tranny fluid in?

B

An LSD with non-LSD oil (or without an LSD additive) will act funny as well, so if you do have the sticker, try adding some additive and see if that sorts it out.

I have no idea on the temp thing, mine goes up to halfway and stays there, OD engagement as soon as required. You might check on your fan clutch and make sure it's not seized. Has it only done this since you put the new thermostat in? It may just be a lower-temp unit than your old one.

thanks for the replies! i did went underneith their isnt a orange sticker. i did replace the diffrental fluid with lucas and it is for lsd. but that was 30k or more miles ago. i have the stock set up trans cooler. heres where my gauge sits at when its fully warmed up. CAM00037.jpg