AC & Recirc switch bulbs

theexbrit

Anyone replaced the tiny "micro" bulbs that illuminate when the AC or Recirc switch is pressed?

I've searched everywhere & even the dealer doesn't have them. It looks like the teeny tiny bulb comes with the tiny little circular plastic base as one unit, but it's definitely separate from the whole switch assembly that my dealer was trying to convince me to buy.

I recall doing something like this, but I can't remember if I replaced the bulbs in the AC and recirc buttons or another switch.

Try some of the links here:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=12v+3mm+micro+bulb

I may have actually replaced them with 3mm LEDs (courtesy of Radio Shack).

Edited by XPLORx4

No, LEDs don't fit in the AC & recirc buttons and you can't solder them (copper covered plastic). I've replaced mine with 12v microbulbs from Radio Shack. They are brighter than the stock bulbs.

Auto HVAC control button lighting can be replaced with NEO3-x LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs. Manual control backlights are 74 bulbs, use tri-LED bulbs for the best result.

Edited by Towncivilian

Thanks guys.

It looks like the NEOx 3mm bulbs with the plastic base are exactly right for the one I want to replace, but I'm guessing you can't use them as they're too long (as Towncivilian says) I had this same problem with some H3 LED replacement bulbs I bought for the fog lights, they were too long to fit in the lens.

TC, how did you fit the bulbs in the plastic holder? The ones from Radio Shack look like they're just the bare bulb.

They won't fit, I tried and they are simply monstrous compared to the socket.

You have to remove the switch, unclip the front, pull out the bulb holder, uncoil the bulb wires, pull it out, then install the new bulb by threading the new wires in and folding them as necessary, then trimming the wires and reinstalling. It'll be more obvious when you see the bulb holder.

I have some pictures I can dig up later, I'm on my phone. Sorry if my explanation sucks, hah.

They won't fit, I tried and they are simply monstrous compared to the socket.

You have to remove the switch, unclip the front, pull out the bulb holder, uncoil the bulb wires, pull it out, then install the new bulb by threading the new wires in and folding them as necessary, then trimming the wires and reinstalling. It'll be more obvious when you see the bulb holder.

I have some pictures I can dig up later, I'm on my phone. Sorry if my explanation sucks, hah.

That'd be great bro, thanks. :aok:

I'm just amazed that Nissan doesn't seem to stock them, or do they but they're just outrageously priced?

My info was a bit wrong. You don't need to disassemble the switches, just unsecure them from the HVAC control unit (you may want to remove the stereo cluster, unscrew the HVAC controls, push them in then under to gain better access), then the bulbs are in twist bases, then continue replacing the bulbs.

See here for some more pictures about the buttons and how big the LED "replacement" is in comparison.

Jeezzzzzus. This reminds me of the story when back in the early 60's NASA spent millions of dollars to develop a pressurized ink pen that would work in space. The Russians simply used a pencil. :shrug:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How'd you get the old bulbs out of the little plastic holder crazybob? I haven't really tried but it seems like they're jammed in there.

1/4 turn to the left and the plastic base just comes out of the top of the switch. Then just unbend the leads to get the bulb out. Thread the new bulb in and bend the two leads the same way the old one was and clip the leads to length. It's pretty quick. It almost reminds me of christmas tree bulbs but there's an extra little twist.