Replacement OEM (not OME) rear springs for 1997 Pathy question:

ascdesigns

Hi,

So I've decided not to lift my 1997 Pathy as I use it largely for wintertime daily driving and basic car camping in the summer. However I do want to replace my rear coils as they're sagging a bit especially when loaded with a hitch bike rack. Looking at RockAuto's site, it seems there may be two spring options.

I'm assuming the 2000-2004 Pathys are a bit heavier in the rear so their replacement part (according to RockAuto) is Moog #81115. The 1996-1999's use Moog #81113. I'm sure the spring will "fit" since both AC and ARB kits spec their lift springs for all R50 model years. The Moogs are relatively inexpensive (<$55 shipped) but before I invest some money and time I wanted to ask:

Has anyone had experience using the (seemingly) heavier-duty #81115 on a 96-99 Pathy? If so, did it raise it significantly/too much? I consistently have a Yakima hitch carrier with a couple bikes on the back (appx 120-130 lbs incl the rack) and bike gear, so if it actually makes my vehicle level I'd be happier.

Thanks for any insights you may have!

- Al

Sorry, no experience with the OEM springs but I'd say if you don't want too much lift just get the OME (not OEM) springs. I have them and after six months they've settled to just barely above the stock level, maybe .75" above stock. They're definitely better quality than what you'd find from MOOG etc and gives the truck a much needed SUV stance so it doesn't look like a saggy station wagon. Just my 2 cents.

I used to have just the OME medium duty springs in the rear.. unloaded it was about 1.5" higher, when i had my camping gear in the back it sat about .5" higher. I really liked the setup at the time. Probably your best route instead of OEM springs..

I used to have just the OME medium duty springs in the rear.. unloaded it was about 1.5" higher, when i had my camping gear in the back it sat about .5" higher. I really liked the setup at the time. Probably your best route instead of OEM springs..

What do you run now? AC springs? why did you switch?

Yeah now i run AC springs and an NX4, basically I just wanted more lift and I'm very happy with the setup (and haven't had top out issues, and no problems aligning it as some people would suggest!).

Thanks all. I kinda want to keep the spring rates "balanced", i.e. not too stiff in the rear compared to a stock front. I decided to get the Moog 81115's for the later R50's. I think they'll do pretty well for now - after I install them in the next couple weeks I'll report back for the benefit of anyone else who may have been considering doing this.

- Al