Thoughts on a Ex-Business taxi

Leo94

I have found what seems to be a good deal on a ex-business class taxi and was wondering what to look for. I know that a regular taxi gets thrashed on a regular basis but not so much with a business class one, well not from what i've seen anyways

The vehicle has a very high mileage of 700,000 kilometers but from the photos it is in a very good/clean condition although that doesn't tell you much about the drive-line health. I am fairly mechanically minded and can perform most repairs on a car worst case scenario it needs a new engine, transmission and diff in the future. These are all tasks i can accomplish but would rather avoid. What really has me thinking is the health of the chassis. The vehicle was manufactured in 05 but with that many k's its sure to take its toll on the chassis right? The vehicle uses the 3.6L GM LY7 block and has the GM 5L40-E transmission.

Leo,

700,000 km mean in probabilities 10 times more chances of accident or problem in general than 70,000...

mean the driver has to be ten times more careful...

Did you ask about the maintenance records? If the maintenance schedule has been respected and no accident, you can assume that you can take it from there and keep going. If you change engine, transmission and diff for better ones, you can expect to offset the maintenance for a while. You will still have to spend your time doing the swap.

But mileage seems to be a lot: one full moon trip back and forth, the base has to be worth really.

Philippe.

At the moment I am just considering the car. If I get around to contacting the seller I will definitely ask for maintenance records as well as doing a vin check. This car as a non taxi version usually goes for much more are they are nice cars, resale value doesn't bother me too much. My main concern is how does a chassis hold up after all those drives (Not talking about rust).

Sounds like an interesting deal. I've purchased a car (his personal) from a taxi driver before and they tend to take very good if not excellent care of their vehicles.

I'm assuming its a rear drive vehicle...if so (barring some accident) they tend to stay pretty tight...I have a friend that has rolled over 900k on a bunch of rear drive Mercedes. He buys them used with a lot kms (200k +) and keeps racking up crazy kms everyday to his plastics factory.

Ultimately, if this vehicle was used to transport people back and forth from the airport...you are probably looking at a nice ride. You know your roads bests but if it was a highway cruiser the body should still be good...you can tell us how she rides once you take her for a test drive.

Cheers

The vehicle has a very high mileage of 700,000 kilometers

At that point, I'd walk away. That's just higher mileage than I'm willing to deal with unless it was some rare classic or free.

B

At that point, I'd walk away. That's just higher mileage than I'm willing to deal with unless it was some rare classic or free.

B

This is it!

Ph.