anyone has a good flexible antenna ?

fleurys

One project coming up is to change my powered antenna.... with the cold in here, if it gets lower than -5, the antenna gets stuck either on the output or coming back in... this prevents me basically from listening to radio for the whole winter.... decided was time to change it.... (also if someone is interested of buying my old one, it works like a champ but only in hot weather... must be a california edition :-) )

Is there anyone with a good flexible antenna (like 1 foot high or so ) with all the information (part number, company, etc..) that I could use to buy it and install it when spring comes up ?? Also, if you needed any adapters or anything please included them in your answer.... Basically looking for a idiot proof buying guide to buy my stuff in advance..

Thanks everyone..

S.

• Like 1

Went to the gunk yard trying to find a powered one, and I found a fixed, floppy one instead. I thinks it's off an XE model, so that's what I run now, I love it, none of the stupid up and down crap.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

I put a switch inline with the power antenna wire in the radio wire harness.....now, I control when the antenna goes up and down! During winter months I tend to listen to more 120gb iPod music, which I have buried behind the center dash and is controlled thru the head unit.

since i dont live in canada i dont know what autoparts stores u have but i just went to my local autozone and they had a shorty universal antenna 14in high made from rubber says unbreakable on the case i just popped that in has been working great and only cost me 9bucks.

I put a switch inline with the power antenna wire in the radio wire harness.....now, I control when the antenna goes up and down! During winter months I tend to listen to more 120gb iPod music, which I have buried behind the center dash and is controlled thru the head unit.

I did the kill switch too - I love it, because I rarely need the extra signal height anyway... but when I do I flick the switch and up she goes!

• 2 months later...

I have one of those really short really floppy rubber ones (roughly a foot tall). Love it. No issues at all with hitting it while wheeling or reception. I just unscrewed my old antenna mast off the stock base and screwed the floppy rubber on on. Don't get much easier than that. However you have a retractable one and I didn't.

You can see it in this picture. I forgot where I bought it. One of the local auto parts stores has them. I'd try whatever ones are in your area if you want one.

537631_10151246550093087_1750482758_n.jp

I have a "Euro Style" replacement antenna on mine like this: http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-RM906R-Rubber-Antenna-Replacement/dp/B0018BOM7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1367990977&sr=1-1&keywords=flexible+antenna

It's very flexible, has excellent reception, and I like the look, so for $13 I'm happy.

Had several adapters that came with it, though I have no idea how it would work with the power original unit. I would think it could be a swap? But don't quote me on that.

Went to the gunk yard trying to find a powered one, and I found a fixed, floppy one instead. I thinks it's off an XE model, so that's what I run now, I love it, none of the stupid up and down crap.

-Kyle

hey ferrariowner123,

Did you have a powered one previously?

Do you have any close-up and personal type photos of the transformation, or just the floppy antenna?

My antenna is acting up and I was thinking of replaceing it with the floppy one too but since the base for the powered one hangs off the edged of the fender, I dont know how it fits without leaving a drooping hole.

Thanks in advance.

hey ferrariowner123,

Did you have a powered one previously?

Do you have any close-up and personal type photos of the transformation, or just the floppy antenna?

My antenna is acting up and I was thinking of replaceing it with the floppy one too but since the base for the powered one hangs off the edged of the fender, I dont know how it fits without leaving a drooping hole.

Thanks in advance.

I had a go uppy and downy one before, been broken for years, so I found a floppy at the junk yard, it's a direct swap, it's just annoying to get to.

No pics, but it's exactly what you think it is.

The chrome molding goes in the same place, and I think you just don't plug the motor power in? I honestly don't remember.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

Ok, so I removed my power antenna mast today and now I have a big hole; nothing for the replacement fixed antenna mast to hold on to... :lmao::laugh::lol::shrug: :/ and my little girl decided she would ride her bike over the old mast :headwall: . So, if anyone with a replacement fixed mast can help by taking a photo of your set-up and how you managed to have the antenna mast stay put in the massive hole left by the now defunct powered mast, I would appreciate it greatly!

Ugh...I tell ya, sometimes it is obvious where my kids got their "manos de caca"... :clap: :whistle: :togo:

.... with the cold in here, if it gets lower than -5, the antenna gets stuck either on the output or coming back in... this prevents me basically from listening to radio for the whole winter....

Seriously? Dang.

I put a switch inline with the power antenna wire in the radio wire harness.....now, I control when the antenna goes up and down!

Very clever. I might do this to mine so that I can listen to music while I'm wheeling. I'm always conscious about my mirrors and my aerial.

I have one of those really short really floppy rubber ones (roughly a foot tall). Love it. No issues at all with hitting it while wheeling or reception. ..You can see it in this picture.

537631_10151246550093087_1750482758_n.jp

See it? Man, that mo-fo looks like it could generate electricity! ... oh wait ...

I had a go uppy and downy one before ..

:rofl: That one made me "lol".

So what you are saying is the only part of the base replaced is the silver/chrome part and antenna post?

IIRC, you don't have to change that, it's a direct swap, just unscrew the uppy downy one, pull the connections from inside the car, there should be some kind of break in the signal line close to the firewall, then, get an XE mast, plug that in, leave the power for the old Uppy downy motor disconnected, and then if your mast was like mine, the fixed wobbly one uses the same mounting holes as the uppy downy one (aren't technically terns fun? Lol)

I'm out of town right now on some sad family business but my front fender liners are still off from my bumper replacement, so the next day I get off from whatever, I think I'll do what I need to do down there (replace rear washer pump, and put back on the fender liners) and take some photos of my mast setup, mainly because I don't think my explanation can do it justice.

So give me a few days, if you don't hear from me, shoot me a Pm and ill try and get it done.

Just going through some tough stuff right now.

-Kyle

• Like 1

Thans for our explanation ferrariowner, :aok:

I think I can visualize what you are saying. My problem was I had :blond: no idea the R50 could be had with two different types of mast. Mine, unfortunately is of the powered variety. (even searching for antenna replacement online, sourced only replaceent powered masts, go figure)

If these come with solid masts, I'll try to source an XE mast/base to replace the powered mast/base after that, I'll just screw on the floppy I got at CT.

Sorry to hear you are going through a rough time. Hope everything works out and you do better. :hugs:

Thans for our explanation ferrariowner, :aok:

I think I can visualize what you are saying. My problem was I had :blond: no idea the R50 could be had with two different types of mast. Mine, unfortunately is of the powered variety. (even searching for antenna replacement online, sourced only replaceent powered masts, go figure)

If these come with solid masts, I'll try to source an XE mast/base to replace the powered mast/base after that, I'll just screw on the floppy I got at CT.

Sorry to hear you are going through a rough time. Hope everything works out and you do better. :hugs:

Sadly, no, i wish things could have turned out better but that's life.

Anyway, i took some pics today. So you know what you're looking for i guess. :shrug:

8736735023_474f20ae7a_c.jpg
8737856272_d6d3d350ce_c.jpg