Strange Idle Issue

linkinpark

So its a 98 with 3.3 of coarse. It seems to only do this after it is fully warmed up but it bump the idle up to 1500 and just keep it steady there. doesn't matter if I am coasting in neutral or parked and stopped. It started doing this a few weeks ago and went from just once in a while to almost everytime I drive it. It will also randomally go to normal idle too. My first thought went to the idle controller but before spending the 100+ on that I thought it might be something that controls it. Any ideas??

Nothing ehh? hmmmm well when i had asked around, a few people had said my IAC was dirty and cleaning it out will do it, but it usually only affects it when its cold. or atleast thats what i was told.

Hmmm, whats your recent maintenance looking like?

-Kyle

Always keep on everything. Oil change every 5k. Just hit 200k actually. Tune up on a regular basis. Something breaks I fix it right away. I am pretty sure the IAC is working because when its at normal idle and I turn the wheel the idle fluctuates just like it should. Checked the coolant sensor and its fine. I replaced that a couple years ago. I replaced the Oxygen sensors about a week ago.

Oxygen sensors are all fine. Sometimes it will also pulses the idle around 1000. Which I found strange. Cause if the IAC was getting stuck I would think that would either be one or the other.

Okay, this might be pointless to post but, my wife's Prelude would pulse like you mentioned and it had me going crazy trying to find what was causing it. After quite a while (more time than I'd like to admit here) it turned out that it was a collapsed upper radiator hose. When the engine was warm the heat would have enough pressure to keep the hose "open". When the engine would cool down, the hose would partially collapse and cause the pulsing when it was cool. In fact, I think it also had caused, or coincided with, an air bubble in the coolant system.

I guess I would just recommend taking a look at your hoses and maybe check for trapped air in the coolant system?

im not sure if your 98 has a thermo element for the fast idle cam but mine went out and caused me to chase my tail for a minute. similar issue. i just loosened the nut on the adjustment screw for the fast idle cam and backed the screw off all the way till the it wasnt touching my throttle linkage. good as new. =) when u first start it, u will get a sputter then the computer kicks in and revs it up till u get up to operating temp. hope this helps.