Check engine code P0505 - Idle valve control

stioc

I recently performed a "chemical tuneup" using the 3M complete fuel system cleaning kit which comes with three cleaners. A few days later my IVC code popped up while driving, I reset it right away using my onboard Scanguage II but it came on again after about 30mins. It idles just fine, maybe a bit higher than normal but very smooth. I'm thinking I probably need to do the IVC 'relearn' thing that I've heard about on most Nissans where you disconnect and reconnect the TPS harness within 5 secs while the engine's idling?

On a positive note I got 19.2MPG on a recent highway trip- this was a jump from 16mpg on highway before the chemical tune up.

take the intake off to expose the throttle body unbolt the idle air valve and clean it with carb cleaner and q tips to get the carbon buildup out had the same thing happen to me when i seafoamed my truck should be a similar setup to the 3m kit u used i havent had the code come back since and while your at do your spark plugs u lazy bum with the idle air valve outta of the way u have plenty of room i saw what u put on expo now go fourth and be awesome :)

Edited by shoesandsocks
  • Like 1

haha, yeah the relearn didn't work so I guess I need to clean the ICV and probably change the plugs while I'm in there...I ended up buying the Bosch platinum+4 instead of NGKs which is also why I've been a bit hesitant, the NGKs last longer in my experience and had I known how much of a PITA they are to change I would've spent the money on the NGKs.

• 1 month later...

So, just to update, I completely took apart the ICV and cleaned it but the code keeps coming back (and yes I've tried several re-learns too).

I read somewhere the 2001s had a problem that once the ICV goes the ECM circuitry is shorted out and the only fix is getting another ECM or getting it fixed which are both pretty expensive.

The idle is smooth but high (1000-1100ish range for the most part but sometimes goes down to 975rpm after a while). When I unplug the ICV the idle fluctuates wildly. At this point I'm thinking the ICV is bad...which I should check for and hope it didn't damage the ECM. I know the MAF from the older Maximas is a directly swap at a fraction of the cost, anyone try a cheaper ICVs from another Nissan?

Hey stioc,

My 98 had stalling issues so I ended up cleaning the MAF and TB with the pertinent cleaners and after doing so, I experienced the exact same issues as you (high rpm and unsteady, fluctuating RPM's, re-learn wouldn't take either). So I read on and figured I had to take the AICV trouble of taking the upper IM off the engine, then removing the AICV off the manifold, cleaning it thoroughly and lubricating it. Also checked that the solenoid turned on/off with current applied and it moved freely.

I should not that I never had a CEL or code to begin with. After cleaning, however I got codes 0325 and 0100. 0325 was because I was not able to hook up wire #6 properly so the engine misfired, Code 0100 I'm sure was because of the MAF cleaning. I reset the ECU and no codes ever came back.

While in there I also changed spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Buttoned everything up and when fired up the Pathy. No changes. So I tried to do the re-learn and it still wouldn't take.

Ended up taking it to Nissan. Told them what was happening and what I did to try and remedy the issue (except for trying the re-learn procedure) and after a whole day's diagnostic, with their "magic tools" they told me that the AICV solenoid was kaput. They also made me privy of a few other issues but the important thing is that they guaranteed (no in written form, unfortunately) that changing the AICV would fix my issue. It did not fix it completely. It fixed the high-idle but not the stalling. Sometimes, it will not stall. Instead, it will *almost* stall (200-300 rpms) then the RPM's will surge to 1500 RPM lunge the car forward as the engine tries to recover.

Long story short, 20 days and three different trips to Nissan later, the issue is still not resolved. If you end up taking it to Nissan and they tell you the repair is guaranteed to fix your issue, make sure you get it in writing.

Juan

Hey stioc,

My 98 had stalling issues so I ended up cleaning the MAF and TB with the pertinent cleaners and after doing so, I experienced the exact same issues as you (high rpm and unsteady, fluctuating RPM's, re-learn wouldn't take either). So I read on and figured I had to take the AICV trouble of taking the upper IM off the engine, then removing the AICV off the manifold, cleaning it thoroughly and lubricating it. Also checked that the solenoid turned on/off with current applied and it moved freely.

I should not that I never had a CEL or code to begin with. After cleaning, however I got codes 0325 and 0100. 0325 was because I was not able to hook up wire #6 properly so the engine misfired, Code 0100 I'm sure was because of the MAF cleaning. I reset the ECU and no codes ever came back.

While in there I also changed spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Buttoned everything up and when fired up the Pathy. No changes. So I tried to do the re-learn and it still wouldn't take.

Ended up taking it to Nissan. Told them what was happening and what I did to try and remedy the issue (except for trying the re-learn procedure) and after a whole day's diagnostic, with their "magic tools" they told me that the AICV solenoid was kaput. They also made me privy of a few other issues but the important thing is that they guaranteed (no in written form, unfortunately) that changing the AICV would fix my issue. It did not fix it completely. It fixed the high-idle but not the stalling. Sometimes, it will not stall. Instead, it will *almost* stall (200-300 rpms) then the RPM's will surge to 1500 RPM lunge the car forward as the engine tries to recover.

Long story short, 20 days and three different trips to Nissan later, the issue is still not resolved. If you end up taking it to Nissan and they tell you the repair is guaranteed to fix your issue, make sure you get it in writing.

Juan

It is tempting to get a wrecker part Quaintbucket, however not sure I'd want to spend on a part I won't know works until it is in the car, especially given how difficult it is to replace. Nissan recommended getting a brand new one as opposed to used. I'd hate to see anyone waste time and $$.

Sorry I posted another; tried to editoriginal but the edit button was not available...

Well guys the difference in my case is that my idle is perfectly smooth and consistent like it should be. It's just that it's about 250rpm higher than it should be. And this only happened after I used the 3M fuel system cleaning kit. I guess in my case the saying 'if it ain't broke...' applies here :/

Well guys the difference in my case is that my idle is perfectly smooth and consistent like it should be. It's just that it's about 250rpm higher than it should be. And this only happened after I used the 3M fuel system cleaning kit. I guess in my case the saying 'if it ain't broke...' applies here :/

hey stioc,

Sorry i did not mention that after cleaning my MAF and TB my RPM stayed at 1000-1100 until the AICV was changed and the re-learn was done.

I kinda missed the whole purpose of the topic there. :blush:

hey stioc,

Sorry i did not mention that after cleaning my MAF and TB my RPM stayed at 1000-1100 until the AICV was changed and the re-learn was done.

I kinda missed the whole purpose of the topic there. :blush:

Hi Juan, thanks I saw you wrote this:

"Long story short, 20 days and three different trips to Nissan later, the issue is still not resolved. If you end up taking it to Nissan and they tell you the repair is guaranteed to fix your issue, make sure you get it in writing."

So I thought you too were having the same problem as me and unable to get the issue fixed.

Hi Juan, thanks I saw you wrote this:

"Long story short, 20 days and three different trips to Nissan later, the issue is still not resolved. If you end up taking it to Nissan and they tell you the repair is guaranteed to fix your issue, make sure you get it in writing."

So I thought you too were having the same problem as me and unable to get the issue fixed.

Hey stioc,

Actually, the high idle was fixed by replacing the AICV solenoid. So, technically since that is your only issue, replacing it in your rig might fix the issue.

I've been doing alot of research on this and its happened to at least 8 other people in 97-99 Pathfinders. (yours is the youngest I've seen with the issue) In all instances the AICV was replaced, but it did not always fix the issue, hence my recommendation on having the "guarantee" put on paper.

I've read of people having to replace the computer, the TPS and/or the distributor because the trouble was finally traced to one of those items after the AICV replacement did not work.

I've had two issues, one was the high idle the other is the stalling, turned stumbling and sudden surge or RPMs. As stated above, the high idle was fixed via solenoid replacement but the stalling turned stumbling was not. I was told both issues were due to the AICV. Personal experience begs I warn others when dealing with AICV solenoid replacements.

Just trying to help.

Well, this weekend was interesting. I tried to adjust the TPS sensor to see if may be that would help cure the high idle issue. Well after putting it back together now at 1500rpms the engine would surge badly and no matter how I tried to readjust it wouldn't go back to even being how it was let alone fixing the high idle. :headwall:

I messed with it all day using feeler gauges etc, cleaned the MAF thinking may be that would help but nope. So by now I've messed it up even more and I wanted to drive it off the cliff :pinkwack:

The next day (Sun) after sitting overnight it finally returned to its usual self i.e. high idle with the P0505 code but no more surging at 1500rpm. I have no idea what the heck the whole Sat was about. I'm thinking it's either a MAF, TPS, IACV or ECM in the order from least expensive to most expensive.

Edited by stioc

Ouch! Been there done that...well,almost. Lucky for me, I read not to touch the tps setting *before* I touched it. :nono:

Glad to hear its back to abnormal for ya. U lookin' at takin' it to Nissan?