Question for Terrano owners

Tungsten

I'm trying to find out if Nissan ever had E code "sad eye" headlights. Can anyone with a Terrano take a picture of the headlight lens? I want to find out if the Pathfinder DOT pattern housings are exclusive to the US.

Just breezing through the members rides section I have seen the wd21 Terranos from Australia, Chile, NZ, and Portugal (so far at least) all have the same headlight lenses, just clear reflectored corner lights and some bumper mounted spray nozzles for the headlights (though Portugal ones seem to have some unique jumbled taillights dscf0004dl7.jpg )

I've stopped searching through the members rides section though for more to look at since I found the pic of the 2 door colbywan bought a wHile ago with the Rasin Bran '2 scoops' sun on it and lost my train of thought...

845063747_n9n5G-X2.jpg

dam you simple mind! :lol:

• Like 1

Very nice. :lol:

There is really no way to tell them apart unless you look really close at the frost pattern meaning directly into the headlight. The US units should have a DOT beam pattern so they are frosted in a way to produce that kind of a pattern.

Here is mine for comparison:

547012_10151148556769075_1521003076_n.jp

Bingo! Heads up to nunya for suggesting the members rides section... Just found one belonging to kiwipete. They are in fact E code housings. Judging from the pattern, they are made for RHD, which would make sense because kiwipete's truck is RHD. This logic would dictate that LHD housings exist as well. The LHD ones should be similar but with the pattern on the lens mirrored the other way. So in fact Nissan should have had 3 different sets of "sad eye" halogen housings: DOT spec, E code RHD, and E code LHD.

IMG_0690.jpg

Edited by Tungsten

Of course finally found what I was looking for...

Nissan did make H4 bulb "sad eye" style head lights after all.

This is what happens when I put in Terrano head lights:

1.JPG

2.JPG

These are the answer to crappy DOT headlights. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Let me know if youve found somewhere to buy them! ive been trying to find them on and off for about a year after reading this http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/938/project-pathfinder--for-safety-sake.aspx

Just ordered clear corners a couple weeks ago ^-^

Ah, alright. I only really do occasional light offroading, usually the beach so i really dont run into any situations where i might break one. I currently have 9007's in the stock housing w/relays & aimed all the way down, thats fine with me for now (glare isnt bad either)... I really do love the sad eye and pathy grille combo too much so i guess ill post up results if i ever get the ece assy's if not, probably going to take a shot at an hid projector retrofit. Thanks though!

You lose high beam if you run 9007 in a 9004 housing. Even if you aim it down the beam pattern will be way off and improperly focused. Never run 9007 bulbs in a 9004 housing. Also, HID retrofit kits tend to be junk. They do not pass any kind of certification and don't have to.

The best thing to do is to source a pair of E code genuine Nissan headlamps from a LHD country. I tried to but it ends up costing between $300 and $500 depending on where I buy from. On top of that I would worry about breaking them. The Hardbody conversion ended up costing under $200 for everything.

Yeah i read a whole bunch of why not to do the 9007s but i did it anyway knowing what i was getting into...but one just burnt out today so i switched back to my spare 9004s, gotta aim them waaay up tomorrow lol and fir the hid retrofit i meant buying the clear front plastic headlights and sourcing something like audi TT oem projectors and ballasts and either way is going to cost a ton but i kind of love messing around with lights haha

Definitely a non-DOT light. Even has the headlight washers.

Yeah i read a whole bunch of why not to do the 9007s but i did it anyway knowing what i was getting into...but one just burnt out today so i switched back to my spare 9004s, gotta aim them waaay up tomorrow lol and fir the hid retrofit i meant buying the clear front plastic headlights and sourcing something like audi TT oem projectors and ballasts and either way is going to cost a ton but i kind of love messing around with lights haha

If you want to do it that way then it's fine but will look really weird. You don't even really have to buy clear plastic headlights but just use the clear plastic lens. I think sourcing LHD E-code lights is going to be cheaper.

The little sham-fer at the bottom makes it look sad, compare the face of a hardbody to a pathfinder and you will see that the hardbody looks "Tougher" and the pathfinder/terrano looks "Sad".