Harbor frieght badlands 12000 lb winch

vagabond

Ive got the older style badlands 12k winch and its worked great...only issue i had was i didnt unspool it and check the bolt holding it to the spool so first time i used it i sheared the bolt off...i drilled and tapped it over and used a larger bolt...luckly that day my buddies 10k warn and 2 other jeeps were able to pull me up

Where i was stuck:

DSCN6144.jpg

Where it sheared the bolt:

DSCN6145.jpg

Perspective of what it pulled the rear wheels over...keep in mind im locked in the rear and it was just slick as snot...got the front up but couldnt get the rears over

DSCN6137.jpg

I havent had any more problems out of it since i fixed it

• Like 1

I'm in for one of these too, I was in HF yesterday & checked it out. The only issue I can see is where the controller box is mounted, the cable hits it when fully rewound so I'm ving the box when I get mine. I've seen more good reviews than bad & it seems like some of the bad reviews were written by people that didn't know how to use a winch, didn't maintain it or just plain tried to do things it wasn't designed for. I've heard just as many bad reviews of Smitybuilt, Warn, etc, it's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by theexbrit

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience with winches looking at the type of motor is important as well. The older HF winches used PM (permanent magnet) motors and the new Badlands winches use a series wound motor. There is pro's an cons to both, but the series wound is a MUCH better option.

With that said, I still have an 8k PM HF winch that is bad to the bone. Has saved my tail many times. It just gets hot pretty quick and needs to cool down in between pulls.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another HF winch.