What is the Right

William

Yes, that sounds right to me.

Stated on the previous page a week ago.

B

But B ... :blush02:

You stated above that the OD of your Radiator output is 1.375" (34.93mm)

shouldn't this match up with the ID of the Radiator Hose reported on rockauto.com being 1.25" (31.75)

Does that make sense to you?

William

Yes, but... hoses stretch. ;)

Hoses should be tight going on, not just slip over the fitting, to the point that I keep water soluable lubricant handy when changing radiators, waterpumps, etc. The clamp is there to assist with the sealing and hold the hose in place; if the hose was too loose, clamping it could cause a wrinkle and/or a bulge just before the clamp. One of the tricks with installing hoses is to soak them in hot water, both to make them expand and become more pliable.

If you remove an old hose, the end that went over the fitting will always be permanently bulged larger than the rest of the hose OD. Having the ID of the fitting and the ID of the hose the same makes sense, no neck downs=better flow.

I didn't think the amount of oversizing would be 1/16" per side, but that isn't unreasonable, especially since it is diameter related.

I'll be home before dark today, so I'll find a used hose to measure, just to triple check and measure the amount of bellmouth at the ends.

B

Yes, but... hoses stretch. ;)

Hoses should be tight going on, not just slip over the fitting, to the point that I keep water soluable lubricant handy when changing radiators, waterpumps, etc. The clamp is there to assist with the sealing and hold the hose in place; if the hose was too loose, clamping it could cause a wrinkle and/or a bulge just before the clamp. One of the tricks with installing hoses is to soak them in hot water, both to make them expand and become more pliable.

If you remove an old hose, the end that went over the fitting will always be permanently bulged larger than the rest of the hose OD. Having the ID of the fitting and the ID of the hose the same makes sense, no neck downs=better flow.

I didn't think the amount of oversizing would be 1/16" per side, but that isn't unreasonable, especially since it is diameter related.

I'll be home before dark today, so I'll find a used hose to measure, just to triple check and measure the amount of bellmouth at the ends.

B

Hi B,

Any luck with the used Hose measurement?

I'm kinda waiting on your feedback before placing my order for the Water Temperature Adapter :blush:

William

I'm sorry, I can not find the upper hose. I must not have deemed it salvagable; the only one I have is the one that is mounted and filled with antifreeze. :shrug:

Gates claims the ID is 1.25" as well. As long as the adapter flange OD is the same or slightly larger, it will work.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/nissan~pathfinder~radiator_hose~parts.html

B

• 2 weeks later...

So far, this is what I have found.

Autozone: 1/8 X 28 ISO Tapered

Rock Auto: 1/8" BSPT, Metric: M10.

Nothing else has thread measurements so far...

Looks like I'm pulling the unit tomorrow to try to measure it. Just what I need, some goofy-arsed Brittish threads... :rolleyes:

B

Holy crap, a tap costs $40! :doh:

Because I am trying to install a factory and aftermarket unit at the same time, but I believe I have come up with other solutions instead.

Here is a nice rambling monologue http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34817-do-you-need-an-oil-pressure-sender-switch-t-or-adaptor/

I did find taps of moderate quality for about $15-20.

B