any one using limiting straps?

sroeser01

I searched and came up empty just was wondering if anyone has used these with the AC lift and how well it worked to solve our top out issue. Also how have the kyb struts held up over the years topping out for those who have used them for a while? Mine are working fine for now. Thanks for any input guy/gals!

The total available stroke in a KYB strut for the R50 is 7" As seen by the first tapered step in the rod. Centering the strut rod is optimal. Using AC 2" lift coils diminshes the available stroke in the upward direction.

If center is 3.5" and the AC coils take 1" of stroke away that leaves only 2.5" of upward travel. Throw limiting straps in the equation and further limitation of stroke is produced.

2012-11-29132043.jpg

Another pic for reference purposes: Total strut lenght is about 25"

You can see my extension to the rod in this pic. Not advised due to stress at this area and resulting failure on another strut.

2012-11-29131808.jpg

this is super interesting as it relates to what i do in the real world (i work with bicycle suspension). Just so others can wrap their heads around this...

How a strut or shock and spring set up works...the strut or shock is an oil filled chamber with a system of speed sensitive adjusting valves inside. It is what controls how fast the wheel moves up or down. The idea is to keep the wheels in constant contact with the ground for maximum traction.

Engineers design the suspension with a certain amount of "sag". The shocks compress a little under the vehicles weight.

This allows the wheel to "fall" into a hole (called negative travel as the shock and spring are extending) or to compress for a bump the wheel is then traveling up (called positive travel).

The springs are designed with a certain compression / extension rate and are used to bring the shock back to it's neutral "sagged" position.

Things go out of wack when springs and shocks wear out. I'm sure all of us have been in grandpa's old bagged out cadillac bouncing down the road.

When we try and change a vehicles ride hight by swapping stock springs to longer ones we change the spring rate to which the shocks are tuned. The "top out" is the spring pushing the shock to full extension faster than the internal valving can cope with. This motion is called rebound.

In the bicycle world we have shocks that have adjustable rebound features so that we can fine tune the shock to the riders weight. I guess the have the same technologies for trucks but it must be bloody expensive.

The trick with suspension is to design it so that it sucks up the little stutter bumps (wash board roads) and not bottom harshly on bigger impacts at high speed, while allowing max wheel travel at low speeds to allow the vehicle to climb over rocks and logs etc..

So I guess what I'm trying to say is when trying to change ride hight by installing longer springs make sure you also install longer stroked and correctly valved shocks (struts) as well. Otherwise you'll make a great handling all round vehicle ride like a shopping cart with a wonky wheel.

hope I haven't confused anyone to much.

Edited by bushnut
  • Like 1

I couldn't agree more.

I have Ohlin's suspension on my Motorcycle, Fox and Marzozochi on my mountainbikes, Skunk2 pro S on the Civic and now Koni/Bilstein on my pathy. I know how to tune, modify and repair suspension.

When you put AC or any longer coils in the rear, you put longer shocks as well. This mode of thinking should be followed in the front also.

It's not rocket science, you need more stroke if you lengthen the spring.

When you change spring length, the shock most be longer as well. MacPherson struts are basically a shock inside the spring.

Edited by rocky2

don't hold your breath.... the days of moding stock trucks is almost over. Have you seen the 2013 line up? they all look like jelly beans on wheels. Not a true off roader in the bunch. it'll be custom build or nuthin' soon enough.

everything has to be luxury this and fancy that. hell even combines have sat nav, air con, and surround sound stereo. The worst part is that all the good ol' SUV / trucks are getting pulped in cash for clunker deals so the industry can sell more unreliable and complicated vehicles.

When I was in Chile last year, I noticed all the small trucks and SUV's were diesel. I'd buy a Nissan pathy with a diesel in a minute. But oh no can't import those into the states.

I appreciate your response to this thread. I hate to hijack them and beat the horse into the ground but I think alot of the pathy guys just aren't that into suspension upgrade. I read constantly here that everyone is experiencing the same issues and all that is suggested is living with it or straps.

Found this one

Don't worry. It's normal. Most kits do this. You'll get used to it. You could always go to a local 4x4 shop and get limiting straps if you REALLY don't want to hear it.

Jose

Shall we continue!!!