exhaust leak - how much time

Eric

OK, I've got the exhaust leak like a lot of people aroung here. I havent been able to see the which stud is broken yet. I probably have to take off the heat sheild. I think it's coming fromthe passengers side. My question is how long Until I need to fix this ? Is it going to cause stress on the other studs?

I can hear air and the rattle from the passenger side. I can only see a couple of the top botlts. I am not sure I am going to be able to handle this problem. I am going to check in with the d(st)ealer and explain it to them and see how much they want to rob me for the fix. I will request that they use the 300z bolts instead of the other.

Mine is doing that to...actually it makes the "tick" sound and at first I was all "arms in the air" like "oh i gotta fix it gotta fix it"

but then I thought about it and decided to just let it go...cuz it could be who knows how long? Nothing might ever come of it....and when it finally DOES get really bad I will pull the heads or whatever and extract broken studs, or the machine shop can, and then I can put the headers on yeah baby!!!!!! headers yum! yum yummy yum!

Or it could happen tomorrow...better not, it is five degrees outside.

I had the Thorley headers dropped in after the second manifold failure (first covered by extended warranty- phew). I HIGHLY recommend that you stress to the shop that they replace ALL the manifold studs when they do the work. With the first manifold replacement the shop, despite being a Nissan dealer, replaced only the snapped stud. :angry: It wasn't long until another snapped and my warranty had run out by then. :oops: The Thorley install saved me something like $400 over dealer/OEM manifold replacement. :cool2:

-gardoni

1 - How much time to take off the manifold to check the studs?

2 - Would I be able to see if any studs are broken without taking the manifold off?

3 - Is there any problem if I put the manifold in place after checking the studs or should I replace the gasket?

4 - Do the ticking sound necessarily means that there is a broken stud?

Thinking about doing it by myself... :unsure:

Lets put it this way. I pulled the heat shielding off the suspect side, and the broken portion of the stud fell to the ground. So to answer #2, yes, you should be able to tell, cause it won't be there.

#1 (never was one for order) shouldn't have to remove to see if they are broken, but if they are, they will have to be removed to get the full extent of the trouble you are in. Mine was broken off about a 1/4 inch into the head.

#3 Shouldn't be problem, but it takes an inspection of the old to tell. Mine were completely shot from havin the flow of hot gasses go by, so you if do have a broken stud, expect the same.

#4 Not necesarily, but it is most likely. If it quiets down after warm up, 98% sure its a stud. Otherwise, might just be a noisy lifter, which open a whole new can of worms.

Good luck Mate

M.M.

Three weeks ago I just took off the heat shield of the passenger's side exhaust to take a look, I didn't see any washer nor nut on the upper left stud, just the stud was there. :unsure:

Do you know what size of stud extractor I'll need?

Tks,

Fernando