New To Me R50 and New Rear Springs

ennacac

I purchased my 2002 Pathfinder SE 5-speed this August in California with 45,000 miles on it on Craigslist. When I flew into California to pick it up, the first thing I did was to replace the Auto hubs with Warn Hubs. I then replaced the exhaust with one that put the two small pipes into one 2.5" pipe with a Magnaflow muffler and a 3" SS tip. Both of those mods, converted my 16 mpg on the highway to a constant 21-22 mpg which is more than I expected, but very nice. I put a K&N cold air intake on before driving it back to Wisconsin, but I kept wondering if the system would start sucking water if I got into heave rain, so I took it off when I got back and am now back to the stock air intake. I am going to put it on Craigs List since I really don't see me putting it back on, considering how much rain we get where I live.

I then replaced the rear springs with OME coils to bring the rear end up since it was sitting fairly low in the rear for some reason. I read the manual and searched this forum on how to do the spring exchange before digging in this morning. All I did was to take off the rear wheels (on a lift) and remove the rear shocks. I then used two spring compressors on the stock springs and just lifted them out. I than compressed the new OME springs and put them back in place, put the shocks back, the rear wheels on and it was finished in less than 45 min. I have no idea why the service manual claims you have to take the control arms and the pan hard rod off to do this, when I it so simple using spring compressors. They actually are Strut compressors that I used, not actual Spring compressors, since that is all I had available!

Just thought I would pass the information on about my method of replacing the rear springs in case anyone is interested.

Tom

Edited by ennacac

I only drove the truck for about four days before I made the change in the hubs and the exhaust, about 500 miles, most of which was SF Bay area freeway driving. I never got better than 16 mpg, after changing both the hubs and exhaust, I drove about 250 miles to Monterey and got 21.5 mpg on the first tank. Also, I have far better power at highway speed, where I barely have to touch the gas to gain speed, or go up a hill.

FWIW, I had the exhaust done at Meineke Car Care Center in Santa Rosa CA, they did a great job at a fair price in case anyone is interested.

FWIW, I had the exhaust done at Meineke Car Care Center in Santa Rosa CA, they did a great job at a fair price in case anyone is interested.

One of our esteemed moderators, Precise1 is from Santa Rosa. Any chance you can still the ARB bumper off his WD21 for me? You'll be handsomely rewarded!

Hey you guys take a rust free vehicle as normal, I try to buy mine in CA so I can purchase a ten year old truck without the rust we have here after that period of time.

Actually I own a 94 that spent 5 years in the Chicago area....so I'm feeling a bit of that rust pain every time I work.

In Chicago and Milwaukee the city puts down around 5 tons of salt a year per mile of main highway to melt the snow and ice on the roads. Kind of like you driving your truck through the surf once a day for 4 months of the year and not washing it off!

I don't know about getting a video, but here are a couple of shots of the setup. The first is the two into one exhaust and the Magnaflo Muffler which I painted with high temp paint to hold of the corrosion from salt during our winters. The second, which is kind of difficult to see, is the tail pipe with the SS tip which exits at a 45° angle instead of straight out the back like the stock system did.

NewMuffler_1S.jpgNewMuffler_2S.jpg

Edited by ennacac