Front Axle Options

andreus009

I know ARB makes a locker for the R200A front differential. Is there any other selectable locker available for it? The ARBs are expensive new and hard to come by used. I found a Chinese knock off of the ARB for half the price of a new ARB but..........

Alternatively, I'm thinking of doing LSD for the front. I'll probably scanvenge the parts and build it myself instead of buying one off the shelf. My question is does any have any experience running LSD up front? Was it a major improvement over open or just slightly better? I'd hate to go to all that work to build it and be let down.

Edited by andreus009

The Lokka (sp?) is a full locker, not selectable. The nice thing about running a full locker up front is on the street, you don't know it's there. In the dirt, the ratcheting is far less noticeable. A front LSD is fine, paired with a rear locker is a formidable setup. But for my money, if I were to upgrade the front I would step up to a full locking diff.

Arb sent out a press release a few years ago and there is a video on YouTube somewhere comparing the 2. I also used to get emails from China all the time from them trying to sell them to me but bottom line is they are just that. A Chinese knockoff..= crap.

I highly recommend a selectable locker. Save up and get an ARB for the front. TJM offers one for the rear which is slightly cheaper.so consider that if anything else.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Arb sent out a press release a few years ago and there is a video on YouTube somewhere comparing the 2. I also used to get emails from China all the time from them trying to sell them to me but bottom line is they are just that. A Chinese knockoff..= crap.

I highly recommend a selectable locker. Save up and get an ARB for the front. TJM offers one for the rear which is slightly cheaper.so consider that if anything else.

My rear axle already has a Detroit in it. Did that a few years ago. Been hanging with guys that are locked both front and rear. I can tell my hill ascents would be much smoother if I wasn't open up front because as its bouncing it looses traction and power goes to that side. The loose side then comes down gets a bite and the other side slips. Kinda propagates the bounce.

My rear axle already has a Detroit in it. Did that a few years ago. Been hanging with guys that are locked both front and rear. I can tell my hill ascents would be much smoother if I wasn't open up front because as its bouncing it looses traction and power goes to that side. The loose side then comes down gets a bite and the other side slips. Kinda propagates the bounce.

Bouncing!? Losing Traction!? sounds like someone needs a locker & crawler gears!

Edited by SteeevO

Florida wheeling....hill surfaces are not exactly solid...more like shale covered. I would love to see what I could do with a front locker. Already got the crawler gears and rear locker.

BTW, the hills are man made so you guys can keep your snaky comments....LOL :/

The xterra my neighbor bought has front and rear ARB's, if you get one and need someone to set it up, his truck was done by a place in Orlando, Advance Driveline I think it is.

Thanks for the info, but I'd probably do it myself. I did the rear myself (BTW...an the H233 3rd is a heavy 'B') and my friend whose set up two on his frontier volunteered to help.

Edited by andreus009

If you decide to go lsd make sure its a clutch type and not viscous.

Definitely...actually never heard of a viscous one before but the ones I've seen for our front axles have all been clutch type. Usually, they overstack them to make it tighter for less slip.

.... (BTW...an the H233 3rd is a heavy 'B') ...

Yeah they are!

Geared to 5.57 , These are ready to go in my pathfinderqe2ypajy.jpg

Edited by SteeevO