Disconnected front sway bar a problem?

stioc

I know it allows more flex but on some IFS trucks it's also known to pop the CV axles out. In my case I messed up the front sway-bar end-link with a stripped hex bolt and a frozen nut so the only way to get it out is by cutting it off with a die-grinder. So does that mean no off-roading until the new link?

Edited by stioc

If you're off road at a slow speed it shoudl not be an issue, however I would NOT recommend you drive the truck without a front sway bar end link on public road ways as it will totally change the dynamics of the vehicle. Some on the forum may have done this, but you will notice huge body lean and severely altered handling. It's a quick fix with readily available parts.

• Like 1

It's not a good idea to drive off-road where the front suspension will flex while one of the swaybar links is connected. The reason is this: if the wheel that has the swaybar attached drops while the opposite wheel (with the link detached) goes up, the swaybar itself will drop onto that wheel's CV axle and apply downward pressure onto it. You'll get a lot of clanking and banging when this happens.

You should also note that this situation could also occur on pavement, especially if you enter a steep driveway at an angle.

If both swaybar links are still attached to the swaybar and to the struts, but just one of them is stripped, why don't you simply wait until you get new parts in-hand before cutting off the old one?

FWIW, there is a tremendous improvement in off-road performance without swaybars. I've been driving without any swaybars at all on my Pathy for about 8 years, and though it does lean pretty heavily while cornering, I've adapted to it, and have adjusted my driving style accordingly.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

I managed to loose the nut that holds the end link to mine while tooling around off-road a few months ago. At this point, I am absolutely certain that I had forgot to tighten the nut when I replaced the end link. I drove the hour and a half trip home with the link "zip tied" to the strut to keep it from getting caught in the suspension. I could tell a huge difference in handling and was nervous the whole trip home. I'd recommend leaving it in place until you get the new part.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I wish the hex bolt stripped right at the begining but the darned thing stripped when the nut is on the last few threads, so it's very loose and will clank and bang in there quite a bit, or worse break the strut-end bracket. I found a replacement 'kit' at a local Autozone so I'll pick it up on the way home and see if I can fix it tonight. Cutting off the nut with an angle grinder should be fun! ugh, I hate it when one simple project turns into another - but it's all part of the game :laugh:

Edited by stioc