Heated Seats and Security System

brc19761

Well I have got a lot accomplished on my 1994 Nissan Pathfinder LE I purchased about two months ago. I replaced the front bumper and bumper brackets, got the blinkers to working, fixed the cruise control (with help of this forum), fixed the flickering doors open light on dash (with the help of this forum), rotated the tires, changed oil, and replaced 4x4 cv boots. So, I have got a lot accomplished.

But I still have two things to check off my list. I have leather heated seats. On the center console the passenger side heat seat lights up. But I really can't tell if it is working b/c it has been so hot down here in South MS. The driver's side seat does not light up at all. I starter to buy a service manual at the parts store the other day when I was getting the cv boots, but they were almost $30.00 and I have spent enough money so far. I started to take the driver's side seat out but with all of the wires and computer boxes under it I didn't want to make things worse. So, if anyone has any ideas that I could start looking or testing for it would be greatly appreciated.

The next thing is the security system. I haven't even turned it on b/c I read somewhere where it could disengage the starter. But a few days I did turn it on to see if it would work. I turned it on and the red light would not come on or flash. I read in the seperate manual that came with the owner's manual and it looks like you would need a seperate thing that goes with the key to make it work (which the previous owner must not have had one). But I also read in the manual that you could turn it own and if the alarm went of you could turn if off by putting the key in the door and unlocking it. So, if anyone has any ideas on why it wouldn't work I would appreciate it.

I have googled my computer to death trying to find some info. on these two problems and really couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

brc

Edited by brc19761

The heated seat switch light may of just burned out. Half of my little switches (cruise control-hazard-dimmer) the light inside has just burnt out. I'm not sure how well the Nissan seats work, but I know in my moms VW they will burn your ass off, but they have 5 settings

If you take out your driver seat, there are a couple of fusible links for the security system. I'd start with checking those. My alarm worked fine before I had the key fob, you just had to unlock it from the outside with the key for it to work. The key fob is just for keyless basically.

The seat is just 4 bolts, and then the plug for your heated seats. Don't worry about anything else being connected

Edited by Trogdor636

My heated seat light switch for my pass works most of the time (90%) but the rest of the time it doesnt. haha. tho the heated seat still works. my drivers seat light has NEVER worked. tho i KNOW for a fact it works. so there may be a way to replace the bulb? i jsut dont care enough to fix it. :D

they work pretty good.

There is a how to floating around here somewhere. I assume the light is similar to the dimmer-cruise-hazard lights anyway. You just pull the switch apart, and replace the tiny bulb. You get like 2 for 2 bucks at Radio Shack.

Also I was able to go to my local library and take out a chilton's manual on my 95 nissan pathy for like two week's.And there is no computor under the driver's seat,it's under the passenger seat.The box for the alarm system is under the driver's seat at least it should be.There is a thread on forum some where that I found most useful on setting the keyless entry and alarm.Good luck and keep us posted.

I would not be surprised by a burnt out wheat bulb ether. as pointed out above you can get them at radio shack. Radio Shack part number 272-1092.

Once it gets colder, if the drivers side isnt working, swap the switches. If it works then you have a bad switch.

If it doesnt I wouldnt be surprised by a broken heater element in the seat cushion on the dirvers side since it is sat on so much over the years. the heater pad is very thin.

Thanks for all of the info. I will try everyone's reply and then let you know what happened. Talking about a burnt out bulb. I bought a 2002 Ford F150 a couple of years ago and the air bag light would keep flashing. I learned from a Ford Forum that the number of times it flashed was a code. Come to find out that where you turn the passenger airbag on and off it was supposed to light up depending on which way it was turned. When you cranked the truck up the computer would run a safety check and when it got the on/off air bag switch with a buned out bulb it would trigger the airbag warning light. I was told by alot of the people on the forum to go to radio shack and get a new bulb. I took the air bag on/off switch apart and wired in the new bulb and like magic it fixed it. I priced a whole new switch and it was either close to a $100.00 or over. But a $2.00 bulb and some advice from people was priceless.

This forum has already saved me a lot of time and money with all of your advice. I trully appreciate the time and effort everyone makes in answering my posts.

Thanks again,

brc