1999 pathfinder owner,looking to prepare for more off-roading...

gubbins

Hello from Arizona!

I own a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder,and i am looking for some sage advice about upgrading from stock so that i can enjoy a few of thes beautiful trails here!

I know that it can manage some trails right now,but chronologically,what things should i start to add first that are essentials,and what things are added but not necesarily essential? I will be driving it every day,and i am not looking to be wheeling in the most technical of areas,but after doing research it seems like i need : skid plate,roof rack (rather keep my spare above than below,where it is now) Diff Lockers,lights,maybe a lift,maybe not,maybe bigger wheels,but i want to keep it fairly streamilined like some of the rigs on here.I know there is a wealth of information on here,and when i am up and ready i would love to go out with a couple of you guys and gals! I am a married dad of 2 so i do not feel the need to impress or show off,but it really looks like fun to be out on some of these trails,plus i LOVE MY PATHFINDER!! ...Cheers

Decent tyres, 31" min, rear springs, crank torsions, new nitro shocks allround and a snorkel

Thats my list to start with

Hey Stinka,thanks! I am an Englishman living out here in Arizona,looking to get out and about with some of these good folk.....tha ks for the input!
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say living in Arizona is a "dream" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lmao: Just kidding!!! AZ is a pretty cool place, I love the desert. :itsallgood:

I'm from a small village near Croydon, Surrey, originally. Lived there for 30 years before moving to California 22 years ago. I was going to Canada (I'm a Canadian citizen) but I met my wife & decided to "slum it" in the sun :D

My brother lived in Folkestone until about a year ago, he retired to Valencia, Spain. He used to tell me horror stories about all the Somali, East European & Russian "refugees", all the crime & how England is going to hell in a hand-basket :omg: I don't think I could ever move back to England, I'm totally "Yankenised" now & love it here in the states. Got my citizenship & I'm very grateful to be able to live here. B)

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 1

You lucky man. How the hell does anyone get to leave this hell hole for a dream life in AZ ??

It's my dream to live on the west coast of the USA :(

Yes,the west coast is beautiful,stinka,and i believe there would be no shortage of mud,creeks,trails,rivers and hills to traverse!

I have been here since 1994,which means i have endured 18 Arizona summers,which are laughably hot and brutal....have been having pangs to go back to live in Europe with the wife and kids,but not England......not in a bitter,snarky way.I love my cou try,but i am all for trying new things i suppose,hence me wanting to get geared up and go out in my pathfinder with some AZ locals!

• Like 2

I wouldn't say living in Arizona is a "dream" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lmao: Just kidding!!! AZ is a pretty cool place, I love the desert. :itsallgood:

I'm from a small village near Croydon, Surrey, originally. Lived there for 30 years before moving to California 22 years ago. I was going to Canada (I'm a Canadian citizen) but I met my wife & decided to "slum it" in the sun :D

My brother lived in Folkestone until about a year ago, he retired to Valencia, Spain. He used to tell me horror stories about all the Somali, East European & Russian "refugees", all the crime & how England is going to hell in a hand-basket :omg: I don't think I could ever move back to England, I'm totally "Yankenised" now & love it here in the states. Got my citizenship & I'm very grateful to be able to live here. B)

Yes i think i have become Yankified too! Really like living here,even though the political claptrap is reaching a boiling point,and it is insanely hot in Phoenix....i have only been to Croydon once,and i do not rcall why,but have been in and out of Gatwick a few times....i hear the same thing about England,that we are too soft on Illegal immigrants and all that......i have been back about 7 or 8 times since 1994, .....so you are out in the O.C. As it is sometimes referred to,eh? Loving it are you?? It is awfully pretty in coastal California,i was just up in La Jolla a couple of weeks back,hard to stay out of the ocean!

Any tips you have for me,i. Terms of getti g my 1999 pathfinder up for the challenges ,let me know! Best to you!

My famil

Ha, my mum and dad were from carshalton and I lived there until I was 7, then we moved to staffordshire

:laugh: :laugh:

This is turning into a Brit thread!

I used to work in Carshalton. Staffordshire is pretty though from what I can recall. Personally I like North Devon, there's just not much work there. I love Orange County but most of the people in South Orange County suck! They're so arrogant, fake & self-centered, I just got back from the Sierra's & the people are so different there. When I retire I hope to move maybe somewhere in the mountains near a lake, I wouldn't go back to Europe. Taxes, cost of living, etc, are so high, we complain here but we have it better than Europe in a lot of ways. I'm glad I grew up in England, but it's so different now I couldn't move back.

As for getting your truck ready, Stinka pretty much has it covered although the snorkel can probably wait a while, we're more desert drivers so not much water out here. Having said that, a snorkel is on my list as there are some water crossings in winter & a flooded engine is the last thing I want. You won't be doing any rock crawling in a 1999 Pathy, we can only get about a 2" lift without doing a subframe drop & solid axle swap, but a 2" lift & 31x10.5" tires will get you through most desert terrain. make sure you have a clean (or new) radiator, my Pathy doesn't like slow, hot, uphill climbs so I got a new Koyorad, my stock rad is probably clogged after all these years. I also put electric fans on mine, they've saved my arse a couple of times in this heat! Manual hubs will gain you about 4-5 miles mpg, I have the Mile Marker hubs, $100 & easy to fit, work great. Some people don't like having to lock & unlock their hubs but it's not a big deal to me & means less wear & tear on my CV joints, transfer case, etc. I rarely get into 4wd in the desert, it's more the extra clearance you need. Maybe get some extra lights, desert night driving is fun but man it can be friggin' dark!!

I'm sure some of the other guys here will have some more suggestions, but definitely the lift & tires first. :itsallgood:

I tend to agree with the 2" lift and 31's - I ran that for several years around Colorado and Utah. I think picking the right tire for the terrain is important, so I'd think through that carefully.

I'm a holdout on the locking hubs. I always hesitate putting that out there, but I get very close mileage to a build almost identical to mine and I've had no issues with CV's/boots. I realize that's NOT a popular view here though so take it for what it's worth - 1 guy's experience versus many others on this forum.

Depending on the trails you are planning on running, I tend to advise sliders before skids...but that just depends on terrain and your style of driving. When I started wheeling I put my tire on every obstacle which meant my rocker panels were placed in danger more than my transfer case (or other center-line part).

Oh yeah, and I was born in California but I've been to London - just to try to join in the banter a little.

Welcome to the banter :D

The hubs aren't that important as you say, I just noticed a big difference in mpg after I installed mine. I agree about the sliders, most obstacles go under your wheel not the center line so sliders are important if you want to keep your bodywork in good shape & avoid getting stuck on a rock.

Welcome to the banter :D

The hubs aren't that important as you say, I just noticed a big difference in mpg after I installed mine. I agree about the sliders, most obstacles go under your wheel not the center line so sliders are important if you want to keep your bodywork in good shape & avoid getting stuck on a rock.

Yep, that's why I'm careful with the hub recommendation because I know it's different from the norm.

Oh yeah, and I watch EPL as much as humanly possible...not a typical Yank.

Thank you all very much for the info......there are so many options on everything that it is dizzying.i like the idea about getting sliders,as i have watched some videos of people out on the trails and those things get called into action!i have a newer radiator,and i did know about the 2" lift.Not going to budget for a subframe drop yet.:-) i have also read that some people like to keep their CV boots on as it protects against dirt,yet still other folks who have them removed!i think that i will inspect mine,and depending on if they need replacing i will leave them on.....yes,tires and lights,very practical.as for the tires,it seems like one can pore over which ones to get and then really not know if they are truly the 'right' ones until you are riding on them.......

Dd you guys purchase sliders or do custom fabs?

Thanks to Rick13,theexbrit and Stinka.you have made me feel welcome,and i will post pictures of what i do and have done!

I watch as much EPL as i can.i am an Aston Villa fan,so usually end up disappointed,even though we scored a nice win vs. swansea this past weekend......

• Like 1

I would personally never run without CV boots. The amount of dirt and debris I found inside mine after discovering a tear in a bellow was actually unbelievable - can't imagine if the boot was actually off the joint. (Just my opinion)

I went with Rocky Road Outfitters "Super Sliders" - http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfinder-rock-sliders.html They have yet to let me down and have been put through some serious wheeling. I heard that they may not be making them to bolt through the pinch seam anymore - which was a selling point to me to help distribute the torque of a serious contact.

If you haven't already lurked a bunch on here yet, there are some really good threads on all sorts of topics for the R50. It's where I've found most of my inspiration and information on my current build.

Ah yes, EPL. I only get what is on my regional sports network and ESPN (so about 3-4 games a month). I had been a Leeds fan since the early 90's but since I don't get to see them play anymore I just don't follow their progress (or lack there-of) in the lower divisions. I have always liked watching Tottenham and have found myself enjoying routing for them over the past 5 years or so. Aston Villa, hey they also drew against New Castle which isn't to shabby IMHO.

• Like 1

I'm with Rick13, I would never run without CV boots!! :ohno01::omg:

The amount of shat that would get in the joint would wear them out in no time at all. I guess someone will have the usual "I've run without CV boots for 125 years & I've never had a problem, blah, blah, blah", :chairfall: but I wouldn't run without them.

• Like 1

Well i made some fantastically witty and incisive comments last night,about all manner of worldly things,and yet i sit here today and see that they all got scrubbed and are now out in the ether somewhere!!

Ha,only joking.....thanks again.definitely going to do sliders,upgrade to 31" tires,front shocks,a couple of new lights on the front......

I would get the 2" lift first, I would say that's the most important thing. I have the lift & I've never needed sliders although admittedly I don't really "rock crawl" (that's kinda hard with out a 3-4" lift, 33" tires, lockers, etc). I got the AC 2" lift from 4x4 parts, but if I were you I would just get the springs from them & get your rear shocks (I got the Bilsteins) & front struts (KYB) from somewhere else cheaper. By all means get the sliders if you want, I just wouldn't put them at the top of the list (unless your 99 is in mint condition, if it is why are you taking it off road anyway? :laugh: :laugh: )

• Like 1

I so appreciate the advice EXBRIT,and i am going to take it and get the lift sorted....no,the Pathfinder is not in mint condition,but i do fancy a set of sliders....still budgeting for tires too!

So is it you that has the radiator fans? I like that idea,esecially given the heat/dust/temperatures out here....also,do you keep a spare that is the same as the 4 tires on your rig,or a donut? Please forgive my dumb questions,but i am mildly obsessed with getting some work done on my Pathfinder!

Also,is it necessary to get different shocks for front and back?

Im broke and riding my dogged suspension and factory sized tires. But I will say that you always want to have an equal sized spare on a truck or 4x4, especially if you have larger ones put on. Performance wise and it won't look silly :aok:

'merica.

• Like 2

My spare at the moment is smaller than my road tires as I'm waiting to I get my 33's before I change the spare. Der_Vier is right though, you should have a spare the same as your road tires. As for the fans, I got FF Dynamics Stage 1 Extreme dual 12" fans & I must say they've saved my bacon a few times being as I have this running hot problem. I'm changing the radiator this weekend so I'll remove them from the stock rad & refit them on the new Koyorad.

I have nothing but good things to say about these fans, they are a tad noisy but I like that so I know that they're working :lol: FF Dynamics have great customer service & the fans have a lifetime warranty. They give you 2 sender units for the thermostatic control, I'm using the one that fits between the fins of the rad at the moment as i had nowhere to put the screw in sender. When I mount my new gauges I'm doing away with the stock temp gauge so I'm hoping to mount the screw in sender where the stock gauge sender used to be. I called FF Dynamics & within 2 days they'd they sent me, free of charge, 3 packets of mounting ties to mount the new fans to the new rad. Great fans, great company!!

• Like 1

I think it depends on how much a difference the tires are that are across from each other.

Example - my spare tire is a 33" tire that is about 0.5" smaller than my daily runners with full tread depth. I consider that close enough to not overburden the differentials.

I'm sure there's a right up on it somewhere. I think if you used a spare to get you back to civilization, that's one thing, but I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time.

Front struts and rear shocks are just easier to change out because you need to pull and reassemble the struts anyways and the shocks are a piece of cake (even for me). They aren't "required" but I already had a blown strut, 2 useless rear shocks, and 2 sagging rear springs when I put my 2" lift on...so it just made sense to me at the time.

• Like 1

Like Rick13 I had blown struts & saggy springs so I just replaced everything. The struts really need to be done by a shop with a heavy duty spring compressor as there is a lot of energy stored in those compressed lift springs. I know some guys have changed the springs at home but I got too scared when I saw how much strain they were putting on the little spring compressor we were using. :ohno01::omg:

I have bilstein shocks on the back of mine, you can do the rear springs & shocks yourself without too much trouble.

• Like 1