winterizing my 96 for BC Canada

smoke

As many of you know I have moved from a moderate winter climate of North Carolina to Fairmont area British Columbia Canada. I was wondering what would be best for keeping the truck from freezing up beside from the regular maint. stuff like the radiator fluids and oil. Do I need to change out the Trans or diffs to a diffrent oil for less viscosity?

What are your thoughts on types of block heaters and what works best for the 0*C and colder as it looks like we will be getting these tempatures this week where I am. Thanks for your time and if anything else comes to mind for winterizing let me know thanx.

You won't need a block heater until it gets stupid, as in -10C or colder. I never had a problem firing mine up, even in -25 with a weak battery.

Make sure the coolant is the proper mix, about 60/40 or 70/30. If you're unsure, drain it all and start over.

The block heaters that replace a freeze plug* are the best. The ones that go onto the lower rad hose are passable but not as good.

*: 'Freeze plug' is a misnomer, they do nothing to protect the engine.

All other fluids are fine unless you have reason to believe that they are old or dirty. Your diff and trans, etc will live just fine.

As many of you know I have moved from a moderate winter climate of North Carolina to Fairmont area British Columbia Canada. I was wondering what would be best for keeping the truck from freezing up beside from the regular maint. stuff like the radiator fluids and oil. Do I need to change out the Trans or diffs to a diffrent oil for less viscosity?

What are your thoughts on types of block heaters and what works best for the 0*C and colder as it looks like we will be getting these tempatures this week where I am. Thanks for your time and if anything else comes to mind for winterizing let me know thanx.

Well welcome to Canada. I am not sure about all trucks, but mine (bought used) had a block heater cord in the glove box that I have yet been able to figure out where the heck it plugs in!

One thing I found that made my pathfinder a little cold-friendly was swapping out diffs for amsoil synthetic and i also put mobil 1 synthetic in the xfer and tranny, as well as engine. Last truck I had in the winter with conventional oil the oil light came on for 10-15 mins on cold days, swapped out for synthetic, and it never did it again. That sold me on synthetics (among other things!)

Oh well, get some good winter rated tires too, like Duratrac!

The FSM says the proper antifreeze to water ratio is 50/50, go with that.

Stick with 5W or 0W-30 engine oil for better cold flow and use a filter with a silicone anti-drainback valve (Purolator PureONE, Wix/Napa Gold, Bosch Premium or DistancePlus, Fram Ultra are great options), maybe switch your diff(s) to 75W-90 synthetic. Also change out your power steering fluid to a synthetic ATF which will have better cold weather performance.

Edited by Towncivilian

Well welcome to Canada. I am not sure about all trucks, but mine (bought used) had a block heater cord in the glove box that I have yet been able to figure out where the heck it plugs in!

I'm not sure about the VG33, however when I bought mine the block heater cord was burnt off from the exhaust manifold. If my memory is right, on the VG30E the plug in is kind of underneath the heat shield under the drivers side exhaust manifold. If your truck didn't come with a block heater, you can buy magnetic ones that stick to the bottom of your oil pan. They aren't as good, but they do work...sort of.

Not sure if yours is manual or auto. My manual is very stiff in the cold. Running Quaker State Synthetic 75W90 GL4. While you're letting it warm up, throw the transfer case in neutral with the transmission in 1st gear. It'll get the oil moving in the transmission. Shifts smooth as butter after that.

• Like 1

While you're letting it warm up, throw the transfer case in neutral with the transmission in 1st gear. It'll get the oil moving in the transmission. Shifts smooth as butter after that.

This is a good idea. I wish I could do it on my 1995 Accord daily driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Block heaters, Oil pan heaters, battery blankets... all help out immensely during the winter. But they are really not needed until about -25 (from my experiences anyway)if you have them in already, great! use em! but If you dont, you could just throw some Synthetic 5w-30 in and make sure your antifreeze is rated to about -40, and that your battery will start once the temps dip bellow 20. Its also a good idea to check your washer fluid and put some freeze resistant stuff in. (its not pretty when the washer fluid jug cracks)

Alot of people up here just throw synthetic oil in and use a battery blanket.

• 7 months later...

question, does anyone know if a lower radiator type block heater will work on a 1997 r50 pathfinder? some vehicle dont alow the coolant to circulate, causeing just the coolant in the hose its self to heat

question, does anyone know if a lower radiator type block heater will work on a 1997 r50 pathfinder? some vehicle dont alow the coolant to circulate, causeing just the coolant in the hose its self to heat

The thermostat is at the engine end of the lower rad hose. Once it warms up and opens, it would begin to warm the coolant in the engine.

It probably would warm the engine, but it would take a lifetime. My Pathfinder had one, but I never used it.

Edited by pathfounder

All I use:

Blockheater, Synthetic 5W30, battery blanket, winter washer fluid. Keep a wary eye on window chips. There is nothing like ignoring a little chip which is fine in the cold but turns to a large crack the first time you crank the heat.

The biggest problem I have is with the washer fluid (not here, in the banana-belt, when I go for winter drives out to Banff, Edmonton or Calgary) the fluid freezes in the hoses. Especially to the rear window.

Also, in winter, warm the car up before driving. Keep extra washer fluid, oil, a shovel, blankets, candle(s) flashlight, a small bag of sand, salt or kitty litter and a cellphone charger.

Brother lives up in Fairbanks, AK and he added the oil pan cooler. When it gets really cold there, pretty much everyone on campus plugs their car in while at school/work.