Bottom end specs

Firehawk

Are the pistons/ rods and or crank forged in a 93 VG30? The reason I ask is I would not mind bolting a small turbo up some day and was just cuious if I was wasting my time even considering it. I don't reall want to build a turbomotor, I already have a project like that going on and $$ is spread thin enough.

Thanks for any input.

~Jason

The bottom end is junk? You need to do more reading. The vg bottom end will hold as long as it has been taken care of. If you don't get carried away with the boost, you will be fine. There are a few members who have attempted turbo turbo installs. It's not easy, but as others showed, it can be done. Like any engine, if it has higher mileage, boosting is probably not a good idea without a rebuild.

Rods are forged, crank is nodular iron, pistons are standard cast, head gaskets are about the best you can get. They are strong enough to support a proven 450HP as long as the TUNE is good and you keep up on it. Stock pistons will melt the ring lands if you detonate, or blow the head gasket, but if you have forged pistons and detonate constantly you'll spin bearings. 9:1 is prrriiiiiiiiime for turbo VGs. Want a real good kick in the pants? Boost a VG33.

17PSI on my bone stock 7.8:1 VG30ET.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 2

The bottom end is junk? You need to do more reading.

Why would I need too do more reading? I no longer have a vg and I highly suspect I will never have another. I simply dont believe stock vg's 3.0s are ideal for boosting. Since most of them are both high mileage and havent been maintained.

Gotta remember most of them that are still out there are pushing 150k for an average (just wait, somebuddy will chime in and say there brothers boyfriends sister as a turbo vg with 350k)

Okay, well whether you believe it or not you're wrong and they are very good engines to boost. Too high of RPM and HP the oiling issue becomes pretty apparent, but like I said they hold 450HP stock.

No engine is going to be good to boost with a ton of miles and poor maintenance. Durrrr dee durr. However a 100K engine with great maintenance? It'll last a long time.

And actually yeah, there are Z31s out there with the factory VG30ET with over 300K miles on them. You really don't know what you're talking about Sal.

Sure, how many times have there heads been off though James?

Was my mistake to add anything too this thread since truethfully I dont care about any of the vg/vq series. But I always believed that vg's are @!*% in the bottom, and i always will believe that. I mean didnt you have bearings go bad in that 88 you had?

But what ever, you clearly know more then I do about little motors.

Edited by nismothunder

Sal, if you don't have a Pathfinder anymore and have nothing of value to contribute to the board. Just leave.

The VG30 is an IDEAL motor to boost if you don't want to get crazy with it and you know the motor is in good health. Just be sure to not skip the most important part, tuning.

Sal, if you don't have a Pathfinder anymore and have nothing of value to contribute to the board. Just leave.

Well Dennis I still have a pathfinder but mine is simply no longer vg powered.

I have nothing of value too add too this thread or any on the topic of vg motors (besides my opinion of them), but that doesnt mean I have too leave (dont really care ethier way acutally)

James and I we simply having a disagreement, (not even that bad of one) But thanks for telling me that I offended you.

If you want to PM me go right ahead.

Well Dennis I still have a pathfinder but mine is simply no longer vg powered.

I have nothing of value too add too this thread or any on the topic of vg motors (besides my opinion of them), but that doesnt mean I have too leave (dont really care ethier way acutally)

James and I we simply having a disagreement, (not even that bad of one) But thanks for telling me that I offended you.

If you want to PM me go right ahead.

You and Kingman should have taken it to PM because your "disagreement" got out of hand with your comment.