Transmission tunnel quite hot in interior, is this normal?

same0027

Hi All,

when driven in city traffic my new 95 makes the transmission tunnel so hot it feels like the heat is on. If driving for any distance i notice it out of the 4wd lever and today the girfriend drove about 10 miles in the city and then came back to pick me up and it was very hot out of the e-brake area and had even made the egdes of the front seats hot. Is this normal? My car has an aftermarket transcooler up front and had the trans rebuilt about 40,000 miles ago. I know my transfer case leaks and have not checked its level yet. Any thoughts? Just curious if this is common/normal or if I need to get under there.

Thanks

I 2nd the shifter boot on the transfer case shifter. Been in that boat before. Given that you live in Seattle might want to leave it that way until next summer lol. Honestly though this is an easy fix if you can find the boot. I got mine from ABC Nissan in Arizona. They do ship if no one local has one for you.

My 95 SE, and probably my old XE, both had a pre-cat. I found with an infrared temperature gun that the inlet of the pre-cat would reach off the scale of the thermometer, 999 degrees. I promptly swapped it out for a non-precat "midpipe" piece. You may be interested in doing the same. it's direct bolt in and won't effect WA emissions in the slightest.

+1 on the boot. I tried driving it without any boot at all... once... cold day and I still nearly burned the hair off my leg. I got mine from factorynissanparts.

Edit: the part # is 74965-80G00 INSULATOR, TRANS HOLE

Edited by Slartibartfast