Lock rite locker problems

Sgtplatt

Hello all,

Newbie here, not new to forums, but to this one for sure.

When I bought my 94 pathfinder, the front axle was torn apart, seller said the locker was shot.

I removed and inspected the locker, all looked good, gear mesh looked good, nothing wrong.

I reassembled the locker, and found the hubs destroyed, I replaced them with a set of mile marker premium hubs.

So, I drove it off the trailer with both hubs locked, and it sounded like the right hub was making a loud clicking sound, I unlocked the hub and kept going. But it now clicked from the left hub. So I unlocked that one, and 2wd worked. My problem is why was it making that sound and the axle slipping????

My abortions set up.

Stock v6, stick shift, Dana 44 axles, lock rite in front for sure, 5.38 gears(look new), 33" mud tires, SAS, military wrap springs, plus more I'm sure.

Any idea guys???? I'm a formidable mechanic, but it sounds like hubs, but hubs are 1 day old, might be locker, but when inspected, all looked great.. Maybe locker just can't handle the application? Which would be good, so I can explain to my wife why I need to buy a e locker????

Thanks,

Len

He is SASed with a front locker. Why were the hubs locked on the trailer? If only one hub is locked its going to piss the locker off as it wants to have both axles spinning at the same rate. Was it exhibiting the problem going straight or while turning?

Hubs wer locked on trailer because we loaded it with the front axle torn apart. We put it back together on the trailer, and it wouldn't fit past the fenders backwards, so we drove it straight over the wheel stops and off the front of the trailer.

And it clicks going forwards, like a hub, or the locker is jumping. Click nonstop when i tried to climb a little rock hill in my back yard.

All axle work appears to be prof done before I got it, gears mesh good, all bearings are good, hubs are brand new, and no broken pieces in the locker anywhere, all the springs and pins slide nicely.

I ordered a locker rebuild kit, and am going to check gaps. I don't know if this is it, but I'm going to try this. I also ordered a new set of lock washers and nuts for the Dana 44 hubs. Hopefully it will all be in by Monday for a labor day project.

Thanks all, and if you have any other ideas, let me know please,

Len

The locker is supposed to click when one tire is turning faster than the other. Make sure your tires are both the same size, both have equal tread depth and both have the same amount of air in them. If the side blocks are worn or don't have enough pressure on them I guess they could both slip at the same time going straight. Make sure your side washers are the right thickness too.

Did you try the quick test? With both tires off the ground turn one till it locks. While holding the first tire locked turn the other one the opposite direction and it should click as it turns. Should do the same thing starting with the opposite tire.

James

I didn't check, I will try to get some time Monday to look at it. The clicking doesn't sound like a worn Cv shaft(I know I don't have them, just for reference), rather it sounds like a loud popping noise, loud enough to be heard with radio on, and windows shut. Plus, front tires don't turn when it does that.

Len

Brother, almost sounds like the splines on either the drive shaft (if it is a slip yoke style) or on the pinion gear are stripped... Is the T case going into gear as it should? Maybe something slipping in the case as well but the drive shaft is what I am leaning towards...

When I first saw this rig, a few years ago, I was there when the front axle broke. And I'd have given anything that the front driveshaft was pulling apart, and slipping. Now that I own it, I pull the driveshaft, and took it apart, and greased it all up, there is plenty of travel, and the splines look/feel perfect..

The transfer case seems to be fine, when I lock it in 4wd, I cannot turn the driveshaft, which is how I loosened bolts to pull the driveshaft out..

This is just killing me. I did find there are only 4 springs in the lock right, and the rebuild kit comes with 8.

Something else I was 'thinking', is maybe the rear isn't geared properly, but that wouldn't have just broken, it would have been wrong from the beginning, and not very likely..

Len

Ok, I put the new springs in today, same problem. I drove it with cover off to a spot in my yard to torque the front axle, my buddy was watching it, and under a load, the locker is slipping, like it's supposed to do when a tire is going around a corner.

We tore the axle apart, and rechecked it all. It looks to me like 2 different problems. First problem, the cross pin is worn out, and you can feel ridges where it contacts the locker half moon spaces.

Also, it looks like the axles shafts are worn a little where the bearing rides on the inner spline. I'll be realistic, for what I'm doing, I'll buy a stronger locker before I replace the axle shafts, I'll buy a locker that will allow for the play in the bearing, I cant dish out 600 for new axles. I'm hoping a new cross pin will be the key to get it back together. This front axle is already costing me close to $100 to get back together, and I still have to buy shocks and brake calipers(ones broke).

Does anybody know of a decent place to pick up a hardened cross pin?

Thanks,

Len

they were pre installed, I dont have an install manual. I tried to grab one from the lock right website, but it appeared that you have to fill out a form, and have them mailed to you... Seemed strange in todays day and age with PDF files, but thats what it looked like. I'm hoping to have some time tomorrow to dig a little deeper, and call the guys at randys to order a new cross pin, and maybe a rear locker, but being I want to drive it quite often, all year, I might have to save and spend the $$ on a selectable locker. I'm leaning towards an ELocker, due to me being an electrician, but the Ox locker comes with a nice cover, which will save me a hundred or so...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Just a follow up. Clearances were in the tightest specs from what I got from tech support. Same problem. New crosspin, same problem.

Took it out, and put spider gears in. Except for the no locker issue, pathy has 4wd again.