XJ Cherokee roof rack on my 95 XE?

tdauria

Hey guys, i've got a roof cargo basket (one of the steel ones, not the plastic things) coming from amazon this week. The only problem is that i dont have a roof rack on my 95 or my 87 SE (parts car). One of my friends who's super into jeeps mentioned that he had an extra set of rails and crossbars for an XJ sitting in his backyard...I'm assuming it would have to be trimmed to fit the flat part of the roof in the rear because of that weird hump we have, but do you guys think this is somewhat easily doable? Between him and his brothers we'd have all the necessary skills to use pretty much any tool (and they have pretty much everything from grinders to welders to a plasma cutter)....

I read the post about someone mounting an xterra rack on a WD21 today, and i was seriously curious as to where it should be anchored...the sheetmetal on the roof seems really flimsy. Any tips/recommendations, especially on where this thing should be anchored? (any info on where/how the factory WD21 rack would also be greatly appreciated)

Thanks in advance!

-Tom

EDIT OR anyone willing to part with their factory roof rack on long island for a reasonable price (or i'm more than willing to trade for parts off the 87) let me know ASAP! :tongue:

Edited by tdauria
  • Like 1

Appreciate the info... The only thing is that i'm leaving for school in upstate NY in less than a week, and there's not going to be enough room in my trunk for the spare tire -__- so that's why i need someone local or a quick 'n' dirty solution

West Islip (11795). I'd definitely love to know about any good junkyards and ill absolutely go look, but i have a feeling they're going to charge an astronomical amount for the damn things (if not then awesome!)

And you're the guy with that Xterra rack, right?

yes, I did the xterra rack. I used to live in Patchogue, and we used to go to 2 junkyards that let you walk around and pull your own parts, no idea if they still do haven't lived up there since 1995.

Anyway there is one on Station Road in Bellport named D&D ((631) 286-1616) they only do trucks, you could probably call to see if they have anything you are looking for.

The other one is Moriches Used Auto Parts ; 210 Brookfield Ave

Center Moriches, NY 11934

Phone: (631) 878-8988

I know either one is a ride for you but may be worth it, give them a call, let me know how you make out.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been looking pretty much non-stop the past few days, but i can't find anything really :thumbsdown: i've even been stopping to double check every WD21 i see while driving around for a for sale sign or signs that they're parting it out lmao but if you see anything definitely let me know!

PS i'm td_scribbles on instagram lol

• Like 1

instead of craigslist try this:

http://www.searchtempest.com/

it lets you select a zipcode and than search by distance so you get multiple cities at one time.

Just found this parting out 2004 xterra East Patchogue: http://longisland.cr...3139116570.html

has the roof rack too!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

xterra rack straight on to the pathfinder? No it needs to be modified to fit. The front tubes need to be cut down until the middle mounts make contact with the roof, since the xterra has that step up roof and the pathfinder roof is flat. The croos bars also need to be shortened.

All the holes have to be drilled and inserts of your choice need to be installed. If the pathfinder does not have a sunroof it is easier to mount the xterra rack. With the sunroof it still can be done but the front mounts need to be modified so the sunroof can open.

yes, I did the xterra rack. I used to live in Patchogue, and we used to go to 2 junkyards that let you walk around and pull your own parts, no idea if they still do haven't lived up there since 1995.

Anyway there is one on Station Road in Bellport named D&D ((631) 286-1616) they only do trucks, you could probably call to see if they have anything you are looking for.

The other one is Moriches Used Auto Parts ; 210 Brookfield Ave

Center Moriches, NY 11934

Phone: (631) 878-8988

I know either one is a ride for you but may be worth it, give them a call, let me know how you make out.

Called up, the one in center moriches has one...theyre asking a hundred bucks but i guess that just might be the price of being a dumb*** and waiting until the last minute. Thanks again for the junkyards!

I seriously wish i started this earlier haha i'd actually be able to take full advantage of everyone's help and advice. There will be pictures of whatever i end up going with. The cargo basket just came a couple hours ago and it's really nice for the price. fits nicely on the high spot of the roof. Link if anyone else is interested: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O844DS/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_ST1_dp_1

Also, I'd really appreciate it if you could give me a brief overview of how to properly attach a rack , ahardb0dy. That Xterra rack doesnt look like its going anywhere. (anyone else is more than encouraged to chime in)

Edited by tdauria

Doesn't hurt to offer less. Unless its a pick n pull and they have prices posted, I look at junkyards like a yard sale, try to bargain. Can't be a giant market for people wanting a roof rack off a 90's SUV.

No problem on the junkyards, those were the only 2 I remember that let you walk around, there are a bunch of other ones that pull the parts for you on Peconic Avenue in Medford.

$100 for which rack? Did you check the craigslist ad I posted?

There are all types of fasteners to use to secure a rack to a roof, I think one of the more common types are known as Rivnuts also called nutserts, basically these are designed for adding an insert into thin material where you can't get to the back side of the material.

this is a pretty good video that explains rivnuts, these rivnuts in this video have a notch that stops them from spinning in the hole, I have never seen this type before and the ones I use do not have it.

The rack was from what im assuming was a 4-door WD21 from the center moriches yard. The other yard said immediately said they had nothing. Went to go check it out but it started pouring out lol so im going to go tomorrow. Id love to do an xterra rack but i just dont think i have the time to do the modifications before i head upstate to school :/

And sweet that video actually helped me conceptualize what im going to have to do a TON!

@trogdor yeah, im going to see if i can talk them down a bit. Cash almost always talks in situations like this haha

Just looked a tool they have at harbor freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

I think im going to grab that tomorrow because its so cheap and i can pick it up right away due to the time sensitive build... They said the rivnuts that come with it dont sit flush so maybe ill get some that do and see how it goes unless you think its too cheap and will break halfway through haha

And just picked up the rails and a crossbeam from my friend. He wouldnt even take a couple bucks because he said theyd just take up space in the garage haha. After mocking them up the crossbeam is a bit wide but hopefully ill be able to pick up another somewhere (the long island jeep group is pretty big here) and trim the beams a bit.

I can't remember where I bought my rivnut tool from, think it was somewhere over in Bayshore, it was so long ago. I went outside and looked to see what brand it is, and it's made by Marson, but I looked online and don't see it, looks like they have an improved model available now.

The HF one is probably fine it only comes with 10 of each rivnut so unless the HF stores stocks them you may need to find another store locally that has them, graingers should have them. If you buy the tool make sure to try it out in a piece of scrap metal first. And very important is to have the exact drill bit that each size rivnut calls for. Some members on here recommend using a unibit when drilling thru the roof as they make a cleaner hole. HF sells a 3 pc unibit set pretty cheap too see below:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=step+drill+bits

another option that would definitely get you to school until you can find a more permanent rack you like, is get a cheapy from walmart, or similar store that sells cheap crap, and throw on a set of bars that are like a base mount for a ski rack.

I bought one from walmart for like $20. Mount your basket on top of that and you're off to college.

replace with an actual rack system later

@medicbaldwin, yeah that would absolutely be my fallback plan.

To update on progress, getting the rivnuts was a PITA, graingers had to have them ordered and absolutely no other store had them. I got aluminum 1/4" by 20 rivnuts and used the harbor freight tool to get them in. Also used step bit from HF especially because the rivs called for 25/64" hole, and the HF one was the only one i could find. Drilled the holes in the roof, and there was another sheet of metal behind where i tried to mount it so i used a regular 25/32" bit to drill through that after using the unibit for the roof metal. Put some loctite silicone sealant inside the holes and on the outsides of the riv nuts, and got them in. Not toooo pretty but im impressed how sturdy it is based on my lack of rivnut expierence/skill. Pics will be up soon. Going to trim the crossbars (1.25" on each side) right now! Then its just a matter of using the provided bracket with the box and putting my tire in. Can i use ratcheting straps? Or do i really need one of the tire mounts made for this?

Alright so besides that extra layer of metal i didnt quite expect to see everything went as planned. Some pics:aeff7c8c-3e6f-0d6b.jpg4574cf35-3e9a-8a23.jpg4574cf35-3eb2-55bb.jpg4574cf35-3ec0-7e3f.jpg

Thank you guys so much for the help! I seriously wouldnt have been able to do this without it.

So the only thing left is my question from above, will ratcheting straps from lowes be sufficient to hold a tire in there snugly?

(And i think im going to throw a big NPORA sticker on the wind fairing or stencil it on with some spraypaint to represent and say thanks)

• Like 1

Thanks man and lol my bumper was starting to rot so i got halfway to ordering a roll pan and took it off and broke a few bolts...and never finalized the roll pan order. Stuck with a messed up rotted bumper and no new one Hopefully soon ill get around to it