3.3 TPS replacement, turned headache

So i replaced the Throttle Position sensor today, based on what some of you guys were saying i should do from a previous thread. and i did not put it back in the same place and it looks like i made the problem was worse, when i started it up, it was idling high, around 1150 (didn't do that before) and when i started it cold it sat at about 1950RPM (again, didn't do that) all at all.

However, I was totally un-aware of how much a huge pain it was to get it set correctly, otherwise i wouldn't have done it.

So now i made the problem worse and i was hoping i could get some useful insight on how to get it adjusted correctly before i attempted it tomorrow with some buddies.

I found this on 4X4 Parts forums

http://www.4x4parts....rev=#Post241620

but it seems to only imply that it needs to be done for an Automatic, mine is a 5 speed, does that make any difference or it same rules apply?

and when are you reading the continuity , im assuming that it ohms on my multi-meter im using (dumb question, but i have been screwed in the past, for not asking)

and also, the engine is running for this entire process correct? also, is there any damage that can be done electrically or physically by me adjusting the TPS by loosening the screw while the engine is running?

Also, what is the business about a FIC? (Fast Idle Cam?) How do i know if i have it, and if i do, when it activates?

ANY and ALL help will be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

This might help, sort of:

The manual TPS is simpler than the auto TPS. Basically it's just a set of contacts that open up when your foot's off the gas. The auto one's got a little potentiometer in it, which talks to the trans computer and tells it when you're getting on the gas so it can kick down. (At least, I assume that's what it's for.)

I looked up the fast idle cam in the FSM. It says the KA has one, but the VG30 does not. I imagine the VG33 doesn't, either. The Idle Air Control Valve probably replaced the Fast Idle Cam in terms of function.

I see no reason why you couldn't push the thing around while the vehicle's idling. Then again, I've never tried it.

Edited by Slartibartfast

This might help, sort of:

The manual TPS is simpler than the auto TPS. Basically it's just a set of contacts that open up when your foot's off the gas. The auto one's got a little potentiometer in it, which talks to the trans computer and tells it when you're getting on the gas so it can kick down. (At least, I assume that's what it's for.)

I looked up the fast idle cam in the FSM. It says the KA has one, but the VG30 does not. I imagine the VG33 doesn't, either. The Idle Air Control Valve probably replaced the Fast Idle Cam in terms of function.

I see no reason why you couldn't push the thing around while the vehicle's idling. Then again, I've never tried it.

Yeah that kinda helped, do i need to do that whole shimming process to get it factory spec or can i set it as in the video, pretty much the eyeball method or basically until i get my resting idle?

Are there any idle relearn procedures in the EC section of your year's FSM? I'm on my phone otherwise I'd check myself.

Nothing that i can see, but their is a huge section on how to trouble shoot it, i dont have a lot of time, so i just skimmed it (have work in the morning)

But please check, i need to get this son of a gun running well again.

Thanks

-Kyle

Yeah that kinda helped, do i need to do that whole shimming process to get it factory spec or can i set it as in the video, pretty much the eyeball method or basically until i get my resting idle?

I honestly don't know. Kingman's got a good point, it might be a different beast altogether.

Well. i got it fixed, i ended up just eye balling it after it shot out a CEL, haven't check it or cleared, but im fairly sure its TPS related, it doesn't behave quite as it did before, and it STILL doesn't idle when i put my foot on the clutch at ANY speed, on when im dead stopped will it return to idle. It should do that right? because right now when i depress the clutch it just sits on the 1500 RPM, and thoughts?

However there is no more bouncing idle with the clutch in like i had previously described, and its working well...for now.

Thanks for the help

-Kyle