Dual Battery Set Up

theexbrit

I like the pics on how the guy did got the 2 batteries under the hood in that last link. Usually when you install 2 batteries you would need to run some type of battery isolator, the purpose is to prevent the main battery (one that runs the truck) from being drained by what ever is connected to the second battery (ex, winch, big stereo,etc), When I was working on doing dual batteries in my old hardbody I had my high output alternator built with dual outputs so I didn't need an isolator, I had the battery box mounted under the bed but never installed the second battery.

Some of the isolators are pretty plain and others do more things, monitor the batterys etc. My neighbor recently bought an xterra that the previous owner had dual batteries, he installed both batteries in the cargo area, the isolator inside the rear panel on the pass side, and had a volt gauge connected to a switch so he could check the volts in either battery using one gauge.

If you end up relocating one battery or both away from the engine make sure to use large power cable.

Lot's of info and different methods discussed here:

http://www.texas4x4.org/electrical-heating-cooling-35/how-wire-dual-batteries-isolator-battery-selector-switch-12310/

Edited by ahardb0dy

Anyone have dual batteries on their R50 or know of a good set up?

I want to add a second battery to my Pathy & would like ideas :itsallgood: .

Hey exbrit, first off I'm in OC too (Lake Forest). Two, why are you adding a second battery? are you planning to run a fridge etc

I'm running dual batteries, using a Hellroaring Battery Isolator. My main battery is a Sears Diehard Platinum Marine Group Size 34M, and my secondary battery is an Odyssey PC680MJ. All accessories (lights, winch, fridge) run off the main battery.

The only purpose of the Odyssey is for emergency starting purposes, should the main battery become too drained to start the engine.

The Diehard is mounted in normal orientation, but shifted closer to the radiator by the width of the Odyssey battery, which is sandwiched between the fender and the Diehard.

When going out on trips where there's more risk of killing the main battery, I also carry a couple of 5000mah 11.1v Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) R/C batteries to serve as a emergency "jump-starter" as shown in this video.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Some great info for when I do my conversion.

@stioc, nice to have another Pathy owner close by, you'll have to come on a few trips with me & my *cough* ehm, ahh, jeep :kyle: Buddies. We do Anza, Joshua Tree (see the abandoned mines thread), etc. Be neat to have you along. :beer:

To answer your question, yes I intend to get a fridge & some other "juice suckers", so a second battery would be cool. :aok: