Radio Static

andreus009

Recently noticed static on the radio. It seems to disappear when i either shut off the AC fan or run it at full speed. On the intermediate speeds the static returns. Sometimes a little bit. Sometimes a lot. I should note that my fan sometimes does not start until it gets 'jarred/bumped' by either hitting a bump or by cycling the freshair/recirculate flap.

Anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know if this is a brushed motor or is it brushless? If it has brushes then i suspect the problem is the brushes may be worn down or the commutator is in bad shape.

Edited by andreus009

I had the same problem, of course for me it was winter time and eventually it wouldn't ever turn on and I had no heat.

It is a brushed motor, mine were really worn down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

Wow, bummer...here it's summer. So same difference essential but it hasn't quit.......yet.

I've looked in there before with the thought of cleaning the evaporator but looked like heck to get apart and get back together. Is just the motor/fan replacement easier?

Where'd you get the replacement motor.

P.S. Thanks

Edited by andreus009

To get at the motor its pretty simple, if you look under the dash there, you'll see its attached by 3 screws with I think an 8 or 10mm head. I also removed the kick panel on the side for easier access to one of the rear screws. Took me about 30 minutes to change the motor.

I got the new one from a local parts store, it worked fine except for the fact that instead of matching the factory plug, it just came with 2 wires with crimp connectors on the ends...I would have gone with rock auto but I needed it ASAP.

I just bought: 'TYC 700111 Nissan Pathfinder Replacement Blower Assembly' by TYC

Got it on Amazon.com. I have a Prime account so shipping was free so made the price only just a little more than RockAuto w shipping and the 5% discount. I get it Thursday.

This model is supposed to be a direct drop-in and includes the fan part and works directly with wiring. We will see.....

Well, arcing brushes will kick of frequencies that the radio can pick up. Brushes will arc heavily when they get to short and the spring can't keep good contact with the commutator. I pulled the blower and the connector was pretty melted due to the extra current because the brushes were worn out, arcing and drawing more current. Replaced blower and the issue is resolved.

I mean the fan has over 209,000 miles on it. So what do you expect.