pathfinder cluster into a hardbody?

edicer2

So kind of random and ik there are a few hardbodys on this site so i figured i would ask. A buddy bought a 92 hardbody with the KA motor in it. His current dash doesnt have the tach at all its there but there no needle or numbers or anything like it was a non added option. Well I have a pathfinder cluster from a 92(like mine) and was wondering if it would work in his truck? Obviously it will fit and the speedo will work since its cable drivent but i was curious the the wiring was the same and if the tach would work?

Don't know about this, in my sentra the non tach cluster cars and the tach cluster cars have 2 different harnesses that run from the SMJ up to behind the gauge cluster, not sure if the hardbody has different harnesses. Check it out worth a shot.

If anything you can install an aftermarket tachometer with a shift light and utilize the factory tachometer slot for something else. :lol:

From my experience, the wiring should be there as long as the years match up.

I don't have a FSM for the 92 hardbody but in the FSM for an 89 it shows the harness having different plugs for the gauge cluster depending on if the truck is an XE or an SE, so that tells me the harness is different for the SE (with tach) and the XE (no tach). If his hardbody does not have a tach it is not difficult to swap in the correct harness if you can find one. I replaced the harness in my sentra in about 10 minutes.

well there are 3 wires for the tach, 2 power and one signal. If its a TBI tach it will run in TBI and MPFI trucks, If the wires are not there you just tap into the white wire that goes from the the coil resistor to the ECU. See FSM for Pin out. or trace wires... TBI resistor is in the fender wall boot MPFI resistor is in the loom below the coil by the fuel rail.

IF its an MPFI tach it will only run off the tach signal given off by the ECU. See FSM for correct Pin number

Weather or not the rest of the plugs for your lights and stuff fit I don't know. but if it doesn't match and you are clever you can just transplant the tach and hardwire it like I stated above.

• Like 1

you can of course get the tach cluster plugs and cut the old ones off and swap them in, that is the way people have been adding tachs in the sentra's for years, I swapped the harness in mine as it was the right way and it was a lot easier than trying to figure out which wire goes to what. Of course as was said if your friend wanted to add an aftermarket tach that would be a lot easier to do, but not what you originally were asking. I know this is a hardbody/pathfinder question but it should be the same as in the sentra from what I have seen..

ok cool thanks for the input guys! I am guessing his is the xe then since its manual windows and no tach and ka motor. I will look into whether he want to continue on it or not ha. not sure how much he cares.