Dynamat, where are the "sweet" spots?

ferrariowner123

So im looking at investing in a dynamat style sound dampening for the the pathfinder, i just don't know where i should put it to get the best results.

My main goal is to stop the tremendous rattles coming my my 500RMS 10" sub sitting behind the second row, and i have tracked that rattle down to the rear lift gate.

and i really want this thing to not be so dang loud at freeway speed, it doesn't have to be a benz, but something to block out some tire and wind roar.

so im thinking floor and double up on the wheel wells?

Does anyone have a ball park on how much square footage i would need if i were to do the whole car? my guess would be 75-100sq ft,

Thanks

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

I'd just stick to the door panels. You should have plenty of carpet padding around the wheel wells and floorboard. That is all I used to cover when I was into the big sound systems. IIRC, they sell kits that are made for just the doors?

I'd just stick to the door panels. You should have plenty of carpet padding around the wheel wells and floorboard. That is all I used to cover when I was into the big sound systems. IIRC, they sell kits that are made for just the doors?

So which side of the door? The inside, as in the metal in which the speaker and door cards mount to, the outside where the window lives or both?

Edited by ferrariowner123

Outside or both if you'd like. Sound reverberates through sheet metal vibrating, so any time you stick something on there to stop that vibration road noise and rattling goes down.

Take the regular clear plastic seal off in the doors and apply Dynamat there instead. The other great place to put it is on the roof as that literally has nothing above the headliner. The floor might not be necessary to Dynamat as that already has plenty of padding and carpeting to trap sound. Then pull out the trim in the rear cargo area and place Dynamat there too.

Pro-tip: When applying Dynamat, make sure to get the application roller.

I had to pull up some carpet the other day while running antenna cables, and found that nearly all the insulation and backing had broken down and was a powdery chunky mess under the "carpet." I have a serious inclination to pull out all the seats, console and carpet and replace it all with either a combination of dynamat style material and insulation or something that covers both ends of the spectrum... especially since these trucks leak air like an old toilet.

The air leaking is intentional. It's called passive ventilation. You really don't need to go through all that trouble and if you do plan on stripping the interior then you may as well just take it a step further and forget Dynamat. Use spray on sound proofing instead.

The air leaking is intentional. It's called passive ventilation. You really don't need to go through all that trouble and if you do plan on stripping the interior then you may as well just take it a step further and forget Dynamat. Use spray on sound proofing instead.

Never heard of this before...

I am familiar with the "fresh air" setting on the dash which allows outside air to enter the cabin through the ventilation system...however it also serves to keep "bad" air out... or am I wrong?

It seems to me that door seals, and wire grommets are the culprits of leakage into the cabin on mine at least. The only reason I would do the whole interior pull would be because I would want more insulation for keeping cool/hot air inside the cabin during the times of year when you dont want it to leave...

After riding in a newer vehicle with the AC on for some time, getting out at the destination and returning to a sealed car...finding it still to be significantly cooler inside than the outside air temperature... it sparked the thought of fixing the leaks and insulating the interior properly. (That car was also ultra quiet by the way.)

I guess that is why the commercials say it is the quietest ride...

Maybe the car had some kind of UV coating on the windows? I don't think the problem is the cold air leaking out so much as it is the sunlight getting in. In fact, a little ventilation when parked keeps most cars a lot cooler. When I park in the sun for a short time, say at the grocery store or something, I open the sunroof and hang a fan in the gap. I haven't checked the temp difference with a thermometer, but it seems to cool it down somewhat.

Also, 'bad' air? Like exhaust or something? Unless the floors are really far gone, or the rear window's open, that shouldn't be an issue. That said I only use the 'recirculate' setting when I'm going for maximum heat /AC or passing something smelly.

Maybe the car had some kind of UV coating on the windows? I don't think the problem is the cold air leaking out so much as it is the sunlight getting in. In fact, a little ventilation when parked keeps most cars a lot cooler. When I park in the sun for a short time, say at the grocery store or something, I open the sunroof and hang a fan in the gap. I haven't checked the temp difference with a thermometer, but it seems to cool it down somewhat.

Also, 'bad' air? Like exhaust or something? Unless the floors are really far gone, or the rear window's open, that shouldn't be an issue. That said I only use the 'recirculate' setting when I'm going for maximum heat /AC or passing something smelly.

Yep, bad air... smelly things, nasty exhaust fumes from diesel ricers... etc.

I am not sure what the car had going on, but it was nice...

Never heard of this before...

I am familiar with the "fresh air" setting on the dash which allows outside air to enter the cabin through the ventilation system...however it also serves to keep "bad" air out... or am I wrong?

It seems to me that door seals, and wire grommets are the culprits of leakage into the cabin on mine at least. The only reason I would do the whole interior pull would be because I would want more insulation for keeping cool/hot air inside the cabin during the times of year when you dont want it to leave...

After riding in a newer vehicle with the AC on for some time, getting out at the destination and returning to a sealed car...finding it still to be significantly cooler inside than the outside air temperature... it sparked the thought of fixing the leaks and insulating the interior properly. (That car was also ultra quiet by the way.)

I guess that is why the commercials say it is the quietest ride...

There are ventilation holes in the front doors and then there are ventilation holes in the back of the rear windows. There are other places with intentional holes too. They will just leak air inside the cab. You can tape them off if you want to. The reason why Pathfinder interiors do not insulate well is their interior is completely cardboard. You are pretty much driving around in a cardboard box. New cars have much nicer trim panels with padding and stuff so they insulate much better.

This was the 80s when the car companies just went maximum cheap on the chassis to save weight. These days the chassis designs are better than they have ever been but the engines and drive-trains are nearly disposable.