Not a Pathy Problem, but if possible please help.

Kittamaru

Ever since my beloved Pathfinder failed to pass inspection, I've been puttering around in an old 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo... two days ago it decided it didn't want to start anymore out of the blue - figured it was the ignition switch/cylinder because the key spun far more freely than usual and didn't feel like it was engaging anything, couldn't even put the thing in "run" to put the windows up. So I got a new switch and changed the tumbler assembly into it, reassembled the steering column, and still nothing (though i WAS able to get the windows up now). I pulled the tumbler assembly and reassembled the switch alone and used a screwdriver to actuate it, and I could get it into run, full accessories, but the starter WOULD NOT turn. I swapped the starter relay with the A/C relay, still nothing... I also don't hear the fuel pump running. I'm not really sure where to go next with this thing, and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I also checked the fuses under the hood, they all looked good. The starter was replaced a few years ago with (I believe) a factory-new one...

Ignition moduel?

On my camaro thats a common problem but I dont remember if the fuel pump would kick on. I do know the windows would still work.

Not really a Jeep fan so I'm not any real help.

Does it Click or does it do nothing at all.

Come to think of it my old Crown Vic had the same problem as you discribe but it was a wire leading to the ignition moduel. I know that ones pumps never turned on.

Just for laughs try to jump it if you can with a screw driver.

My buddies Cherokee has a similar problem. He needs a new park neutral position switch. You can jump the starter relay over on the right fender. You can also try and see if it starts in a different position besides park.

@ 5523 - how would you jump the relay? Rather, which of the connectors do I cross under the relay?

I thought there was an emergency bypass for when the neutral position switches on manuals went bad... is this not true? Would a "bump start" work in this case?

In this case, I prefer to start with a multi meter to follow the wiring and what has current when. Once you know that, you can generally narrow things down enough to isolate the problem. Sorry, no specific advice though.

B

Oh... my GOD... my wife had her co-workers brother come up to help me fix the jeep (he's been a mechanic for about 18 years) and he did it in about five minutes:

The ignition switch itself is FINE - there is, however, a chunk missing from the Tumbler assembly that engages said switch. he is going to find me a new one at a u-pull-it saturday.

HOWEVER, the reason it wouldn't start is thus - when I replaced the switch, I had to put the steering wheel to it's lowest position to gain access to it... I never raised it back up. APPARENTLY there is an intermittent short in the pack of wires running up the steering column that plugs into the ignition switch... he raised the steering wheel, used a screwdriver to turn the ignition cylinder, and bam, she fired right up...

*headdesk* I feel like a real jackass now... lol...