Help me! Lift issue

kefferjoe

So I installed the front could and struts yesterday along with a new cv half shaft. I got in it to drive it and the passenger side when driving bumps up and down an when going 25 mph you get a nasty vibrating I'm trying to determine what this is it seems like when I brake the vibrating stops (maybe because my front end dips down) could this be because of a seized knuckle in my cv half shaft? Or maybe I put the C clamps on wrong so something is happening in the hub? Please let me know if you know what this issue is

You installed the lift on the front only? On going over bumps this "nasty vibration" is it like a pop or bang? Any noise or vibration noticed when turning the steering wheel? What brand of replacement CV axle did you use? By "C clamps" do you mean the C-clip that retains the axle stub in the steering nuckle? If this clip were not in place properly it could do some very strange things I suppose. Pull the little cover off the hub and check to see if it is sitting down in it's groove. How's your wheel bearings holding up?

Ok so the cv half shaft is at a bad angle where the shaft can't spin freely and when my wheel turns the knuckle can't make a full rotation because either the lift is too high or it's a bad cv half shaft it's from autozone and it's remaned so I don't know if I weigh the front of the vehicle down with a sand bag the shaft spins fine...the other side has no issues so I'm leaning towards the fact that it may be a bad shaft...should these cv shafts be able to handle the lifts because it does put extra strain on the shafts since we aren't moving the front axel down

Could the other cause be that I don't have the rear 2" coils installed so the back sits lower causing the front to sit a little higher?

Edited by kefferjoe

I've heard nothing but bad things about the remanufactured cv's. I think most people on here say only to buy new Nissan half shafts and Rockford boots to keep them safe.

It does sound like the shaft or the cv. Is the new shaft on the passenger or driver side? You said the passenger side goes up & down right? That sounds like something's off center.

I have the 2" lift & 1" spacers also with no problems, I do have the lift coils & shocks in the back though but I don't think that would make any difference. I agree with rwd5021, I think you have a bum cv &/or shaft. With a protractor or similar, measure the angle of the drive shaft, if it's 30 degrees or close then the angle is too much. The angle on mine is barely 24 degrees at full strut extension & way less on the ground with the weight of the car on it.

So yeah I'm at like a 40-45 degree angle with my brush guard installed to weigh it down....I think if I install the rear coils and lift the back up it will bring the front down?

And I know the joint that is stiffening up is the inner joint (the one on the left hand side) and it tightens up every one rotation of the tire and it looks like it is a specific point

If those photos are with the wheel on the ground then that angle is way too much & that's what's causing the problem. You will "grenade" those joints in no short order if you drive it around. As DVW said, putting lift springs on the back will only level the ride. I'm curious as to why this is happening to you as I said I have the 2" lift & 1" spacers & my Pathy is fine, I know DVW has the same set up & his is ok too. Do you have any pics with the wheel off showing the whole strut/spring set up, including the top mount?

I'll post a photo of my axle angle later.

I will take pics of the full assembly but I really think it's the fact that I don't have the rear coils...if you think about it the center of gravity sits farther back on the vehicle since the back is lower and when you lift the back it will shift the center of gravity more forward making it so the front sits slightly lower...the only thing that bothers me is it is only the passenger side that is doing this because the driver side is possibly lower?

Edited by kefferjoe

I know what you're saying about the center of gravity makes sense, but I would think the small amount of lowering (if any) of the front will get from rear lift would be negligible. From the photos that angle is way too much, you sure they gave you the right struts? Doesn't matter what springs you put on it will only lift the front to the strut top out point & no further. You could try taking the spacers off & see how it is then.

Also, from the photos it looks like the axle isn't sitting in the middle of the cv joint as it should, did you check to see if the axle splines slipped out of the inner joint?

This may be a pain in the ass solution, but maybe swap the shafts side to side and see if the problem follows. Could be the new shaft was assembled to tightly and is binding at that angle. It's a good 2 hrs of work, but it would narrow down your problem.

Just to chime in there is something seriously wrong there, not only the vertical angle but side to side as well. I would strongly suggest tearing it down before it fails. One question does the driver side look the same as far angles etc ?

• Like 1

Upon further experimentation I lifted the back and I returned my cv half shaft and got a new one....lifting the back helped very slightly buy replacing the shaft helped tremendously...I'll snap a pic later this afternoon to show the new angle it feels solid but I notice when I crank the steering wheel to the right and really gas it I will get the same thing happening I'm hoping that once the coils settle in a little bit and I put some miles on it, it will be better.

Yeah, that looks like a better angle, but you said you put new struts on right? The strut in the photo doesn't look new to me. What make of strut did you use, KYB?

It's not new my other pathfinder was wrecked and I bought this one for 500 so it was merely a lift kit transfer and this shock is kyb gr-2 And I had zero issue when it was on my other vehicle and it was thi exact setup I just took it off and moved it to the other vehicle

Well, the disconnected sway bar doesn't help, but I think there's some other issues going on here, still trying to figure out what.

I keep looking at your photos & it really looks like the shaft is not in the front differential correctly. It's really hard just going by a photo, but I would take it apart & try again.

Edited by theexbrit