Need your expert advise...

My front passenger tire feels like its about to fall off! It definately feels like it needs new shocks, but when I push down on the hood to rock the truck the top of the tire leans out pretty bad. Is that my upper ball joint? I can feel it when I turn too. It shakes at about 50. I thought it was from the set of cheap used mud tires on it, but could it be from the front end problem? HELP!

Also my brakes started acting weird. I really have to push them hard and the truck still dont want to stop. I almost have no brakes at all. Looks like I'm gonna have to park it for a little while. Thanks in advance.

Check your upper ball joint, upper control arm, UCA bushings and the bolts holding the UCA on. It's quick and easy, so do it before anything comes completely loose and does real damage.

About the brakes, I'm starting to chase a poor braking issue myself. Step one is make sure the pads/shoes have sufficient material on them and aren't contaminated. Make sure there aren't any obvious leaks and then bleed the brakes enough to replace the fluid. Ok, how do they feel then?

B

Check your upper ball joint, upper control arm, UCA bushings and the bolts holding the UCA on. It's quick and easy, so do it before anything comes completely loose and does real damage.

X2. Sounds like the bolts are falling out/broken. It may be part of the brake problem too, the hose may be getting stretched/squashed with all the extra movement that's going on.

Jack that corner up by the frame and let the tire droop. Then wiggle the tire around while you or someone else is watching, you'll quickly see what the issue(s) is(are). Please, make sure it is properly supported with jack stand and back up block/jack.

B

• Like 1

Jack that corner up by the frame and let the tire droop. Then wiggle the tire around while you or someone else is watching, you'll quickly see what the issue(s) is(are). Please, make sure it is properly supported with jack stand and back up block/jack.

B

that alone made me want to quote him

Could also be a wheel bearing issue, using the method described already you would be able to diagnose that as well (again with a second set of eyes and proper/safe lifting methods). A bad/loose enough wheel bearing would let the whole wheel/tire/brake assembly 'wobble' while driving causing the rotor to constantly extending the pads inside the caliper giving you a 'soft' or 'low' pedal until the pedal is pumped up and the pads are in good contact with the rotor again. Just another theory to throw in the mix, but as B said check that there are also no obvious leaks and all braking materal is still in good condition and a good bleed as well.

I'm going with loose wheel bearing too. Grab the wheel, once jacked up, check the play putting your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and move it back and fourth. Normally, there should be no play.

also grab the tire at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and move it, you may also want to check the tie rod ends and look for play at the idler arm also, might as well check everything while you have it jacked up.

Grab it at 2 and 10 and drive it home!!

JK

It's all good advice and can all be done at the same time. The point is, figure out what is loose/wiggles. Sometimes there will be more than one thing so don't stop looking right away, you might find more. Remember, the truck weight on the wheel and driving forces move things far easier than you can...

B