Back end shimmy

Hi All,

Just to start off my trailing arms are only about a year old, may be 5000K, but recently I have noticed a bit of a back end shimmy when I come off the gas at anything over 60K (40mph) and under 100k (60mph). Just to be clear this only occurs when I come off the gas. The shimmy is momentary and seems to be coming from the rear, just a few seconds but a little disconcerting.

I just replaced the rear shocks and the left rear upper bushing was was seized, need heating to even turn it. Cut the rubber out, it was badly torn and heated the bushing to remove it (a good 20 minutes of cursing).

My question is could that have tanked one of my trailing arms, they seem pretty tight none of them seems to have significant play Or could the panhard bar cause the same issue ?

Any other suggestions ? Any other good tests to check out the trailing arms.

In all seriousness, my novice and amatuer understanding of the suspension system says that you may have done something to a trailing arm bushing, panhard or sway bar. If money and time allows, why not replace all the bushings back there?

Very common problem. I would get some replacements for the panhard. And when you say the left rear upper bushing your talking about your shocks right? Not one of your control arms?

my pathy just started doing it i put in the lower trail arm bushing because it would do the death wobble at around 70km or 45mph but there was no shimmy now that i can do 140km with no wobble all of a sudden after 2 months it is doing that shimmy thing weird

Mine did that also, so I replaced all the bushings in the control arms and the panhard rod which solved the problem completely. Around $110 for all the bushings (OEM) and just the time to press the old ones out and press the new ones in.

Tom

Well it has my Mechanic confused, the R50 goes in on Friday for a complete check. But his experience is the same as mine it seems like a failing trailing arm when it happens but it is very inconsistent. So it happens one time and not the next 5. I don't have time right now to pull them off and inspect so it he going to do a front to back check of all the bushing etc.

Will report back on Friday.

Well there you go, less than 1 year and the bushings on all 4 arms have separated. Anyone have any problems with a machine shop pressing the old bushings out and the new in. I am going for warranty replacement but not holding my breath. So I am thinking poly all round.