Flushing brake fluid

Darek

I need to flush brake fluid because it is black and probably is dirty. I found the procedure in BR-9 but I don't understand how to locate a brake fluid bleeder valve and how to release it (point 1 and 3 from below).

Could you give me some instructions?

Here is the procedure:

1. Connect a transparent vinyl tube to air bleeder valve.

2. Fully depress brake pedal several times.

3. With brake pedal depressed, open air bleeder valve to release

air.

4. Close air bleeder valve.

5. Release brake pedal slowly.

6. Repeat steps 2. through 5. until clear brake fluid comes out of

air bleeder valve.

7. Tighten air bleeder valve.

Edited by Darek

Hi, I have changed my brake fluid some time ago when I was doing my SDF install.

If you do it manually (like me), you need the help of a second person one on the pedal and other opening and closing bleeder valves and to have an eye to the fluid level on the reservoir because no air must enter to the system.

Here is a pic of the bleeder with a tube on the top left side of the image.

2011_09_10_Levante%2520Path_144.jpg

I used a quart for my Pathfinder and I still had some left over. Be sure you follow the correct bleeding order:

• 1. Left rear brake
    2. Right rear brake
    3. Left front brake
    4. Right front brake

I used a quart for my Pathfinder and I still had some left over. Be sure you follow the correct bleeding order:

• 1. Left rear brake
    2. Right rear brake
    3. Left front brake
    4. Right front brake

Shouldn't it go in this order? (Orientation should be as if you are sitting in the drivers seat)

• 1. Right rear brake <<< This wheel is farthest from the master cylinder.
    2. Left rear brake
    3. Right front brake

• 4.Left front brake

No. I pulled that bleeding order directly from the factory service manual. Page BR-9

OK. I thought you wanted to start farthest from the master and work your way closer. No Biggie. I flushed my brakes last month and the pedal feel much more solid. Age of old fluid was unknown.

OK. I thought you wanted to start farthest from the master and work your way closer. No Biggie. I flushed my brakes last month and the pedal feel much more solid. Age of old fluid was unknown.

If you look at the brake lines, they all head all the way across the firewall and then make their way to the wheels, because then they can use more common parts with the right hand drive models.

The bleed order also has something to do with the ABS system. If your R50 has the load sensing valve on the rear brakes that should be done before either one of the rear wheels. I flushed my system after everything was apart to replace rear axle seals. It is amazing the difference new fluid makes.

OK. I thought you wanted to start farthest from the master and work your way closer.

That's a general rule of thumb but what I unknown to many is that a LOT more cars than you think have specific brake bleed sequences your supposed to follow. The backwards sounding Pathfinder sequence is actually written as LR/RR/RF/LF in publications by brake companies and such (my OnDemand program on my shop computer sais it and a bleed sequence book Published through Wagner we have here at work too).

If your R50 has the load sensing valve on the rear brakes that should be done before either one of the rear wheels.

The 2003 and 2004 FSMs do not list the load sensing valve in the bleeding order.

Edited by Towncivilian