Aluminum radiator?

crue313

I was wondering if anyone knows of a universal all aluminum radiator that will fit the 95 Pathfinder? I'm looking at maybe something that will be a direct swap or involve little work. I know a lot of people don't look at the radiator as a good place to start modifications but I want to make sure my 200,000 mile pathy stays cool, plus the bling factor never hurts lol. So does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Also a side note, I was thinking of doing an electric fan conversion. Anyone have any yeah's or nay's on the electric conversion, and maybe a DIY? that and a new transmission cooler.

I love the ones from jegs, I have them in all of the classic cars. just make sure you find one that has the same size/location outlet and inlet. Bang for buck they cant be beat and you wont have to worry about looking for a direct fit (OEM) one that cools just as well as the pathy's stock rad without the headache. But be forewarned that they are generally deeper (thicker) then any stock rad and will give slight clearance issues. ( not to worry, you can ditch any form of shroud with an all aluminum rad) they mount up super easy with some aluminum brackets. ( i make mine with some 1 inch by 1/8 aluminum bent into an S or Z or whatever shape fits with a vise and a hammer.) Just remember, you can only put like metals together without corrosion issues.

As for the e-fan mod, look for a v6 ford taurus, mark VIII, or crown vic or the like. they are two speed fans and have three wires coming form the harness. trim the shroud down as much as possible ( you'll see what I'm talking about when you look at one) and you can mount them with efan mounts from any parts store. I like to cut tubing down one side and slip it over the newly cut shroud to protect the rad. (like a nice gasket)

also, your gonna wanna look into a fan controller, there are a few out there, but the ford fans pull a ton of amps for a few milliseconds and cook all sorts of wires if your not carefull!!!! spal used to make one, not sure if they do any more. there are a million write ups about this very thing in every classic car place you look.

and if your in there, you might wanna think about putting a better alternator in there as well... your new fan will be pulling a lot of juice. i replaced my stock one with a nissan quest alternator the puts out about 145 amps for a whopping 50 bucks! all my lights are brighter now too!!! (this is all thanks to nissannuts website for the alternator ideas)

good luck!!!

Thank you for the great response. I will definitely be taking all of your advise. One more question. How do you feel about those flexible rad. hoses? other then the flexibility do they have any other advantages?

I agree with Trogdor, measure yours and that will give you a solid starting point with jegs, summit or even ebay.

As for the electric fan, MAKE SURE its a 3.8 taurus not a 3.0... Just from first hand experience, the 3.8 SHO fan will put out nearly twice what the 3.0 fan will. We are talking some serious CFM's here... I did sort of a write up... but have since changed the way it is wired, etc.

http://www.torymoore.com/pathfinder/efan.html

Best of luck bro.

Sorry for the delay in replying...

Hopefully this will help some, as in MOST cases the fan and shroud are sold as one unit... This is really the best way to explain it, to show you the difference rather then try to describe...

Don't be mistaken, both are dual speed (pulling) fans. The 3.8 fan simply moves ALOT more air.

Here is a 3.0 fan and shroud, you do not want this unit...

116681d1302214371-2-taurus-fan-pics-3-8-and-the-3-0-taurus3.0fan.jpg

And here is the 3.8 fan... The one you want!

116682d1302214371-2-taurus-fan-pics-3-8-and-the-3-0-taurus3.8fan.jpg

Edited by tmoore4512

Definitely go with Jegs if you want a custom all aluminium one. If you want a decent direct-fit aftermarket replacement, get a KOYORAD radiator. I have a Koyorad in my Pathfinder and it works great. It has an aluminium core with plastic upper and lower tanks. The plastic is extremely sturdy and can take heat without issues. I never had a problem with mine. Also, the Taurus fan can be integrated into the Pathfinder shroud for a cleaner look.

521950_10150939190129075_2110845765_n.jpg

Here are the stock radiator measurements from Koyorad.com

A0314.gif

As far as rad hoses, they should all be flexible since they are made from rubber. :lol:

You can try to give these guys a call too: http://www.sillacooling.com/contact.htm

They can supply all aluminium radiators.

Edited by Tungsten