What have you used to knock your torsion bars out of rear adjusters?

94 Pathy

So, the reason I've started this thread is because I'm stumped right now on how to get my CALMINI torsion bars out of the Parts Pathy. I've taken a socket extension & a ballpeen hammer, air hammer, & have even tried hammering on the adjuster bracket to break the torsion bars loose or even out of the adjuster, but nothing. Yes, I've soaked the hell out of them with PB Blaster. I'm lost! :shrug:

I tried heating it up, but might not have been long enough. I have the front end sitting up on a jack stand. U'd think as hard as I've bangged on it, it would give some what.

Frame holding the Pathy up. The front torsion bar is out of the bracket attatched to the lower control arm. I have an extra jack stand holding the front of the torsion bar up so it's not hanging. Releaves pressure on the splines in the rear adjuster bracket. I guess I'll just beat the piss out of it & hope I dont damage it. Wanted to get those on & the new Pro Comp 3000 series shocks, & then get it realligned again.

I had to once use a very beefy set of vise grips, and clamp them so tight that i had to hire a gorilla to squeeze it shut. Then I used mechanics wire and wrapped it around the handle a dozen times so it wouldnt spring loose. Then take a crap load of electrical tape and wrap it behind the vice brips right next to the teeth. Use a LOT and wrap it tight. After that I heat the adjuster up, Put on a serious set of work gloves, and with one hand open opn the back side of the vice grips and one hand on the bottom holding them in position, I trusted a buddy who has excellent aim to wrap on the grips with a smaller sledge. After about 5 or 6 tense hits, it finally broke free.

Was terrifying. I'm sure theres a better way and I urge you to do something else, but that in then end worked for me. If and whe you get them out, Anti sieze, anti sieze ,anti sieze and a little more anti sieze, then those dust boots for reinstallment.

Good luck

Edited by Dowser

This is just a thought, but if the torsion bars are free and its only held up in the adjuster drop the whole cross member. It at least gets it out from under the truck where you can work on it better. Once you do get them free..lubricate the splines. I've used white lithium grease here.

• Like 1

LOL! :D Yeah, i just never know how much people know about the tbars... haha. ive removed the tbar adjuster on my trucks a few times... and can do it by myself now. :)

Edited by Kyle94

I'm laughing my ass off just reading this! Yes, I did take the C clip off. I do understand about stupid times like that. Been there done it, but not this time. Gunna try again tomorrow with having tomorrow off. Want t otry & get those on the Pathy & get the new shocks on. We'll see....

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Well in that case... I had a 2-3 ft pry bar wedge in between the cross member and the adjuster and took a good sized hammer and smacked the pry bar towards the back of the rig... yours doesn't sound that easy tho...:-(