Help with high beam headlight

tquatier

Can anyone help with this problem? My drivers side high beam quit working, It has been somewhat erratic for a few weeks, coming on a few seconds after I'd flick the switch, but now it has quit working completely. I thought it was the bulb and replaced it today but no luck, same problem. Passenger side works fine. I'm pretty sure it will be a relay problem but I have no idea where it is or how to fix it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

hi and welcome

this is a very common problem

pull the head light switch/indicator stork off of the steering column

pull it apart and clean all the metal contacts and also bend them back down

due to age the contacts bend up a little and stop touching, just bend em back down

the best way to do this is to pull the switch apart completely.

hope to see you round the place.

steve

Before I tore apart the steering column I decided to try some tuner cleaner, I just sprayed it in the hole where the switch goes into the steering column, worked like a charm, problem is fixed, thanks alot for the info

• 2 months later...
Guest tram_bethea

Hey my lights are doing that now too. Can you elaborate a little on how to take the cover off the switch of the switch? Any help would be much appreciated.

Can you elaborate a little on how to take the cover off the switch of the switch?

remove the switch, get 2 small slot screw drivers and very gentely pri it apart

;)

Gently! That's where I went wrong! For tquatier, spraying stuff in there worked for me for about...oh...2 weeks, then it had the same problem again. I would either buy a new one (for about $80) or take it apart, with emphasis on gently. Haha. After I bought a new one I thought, "Hmm, I wonder if I could fix this???" So I tried to be patient but ended up using a hammer to open it. Well, I got it open, and I was basically just curious about the inside, and then realized I probably could've fixed it and said "oh shoot!" Of course, I said something more vulgar, but this is G rated. Anyway, good luck.