Annoying squeak in dash

Earth1

I have a really irritating sqeak coming from the passenger side dash at the corner near the windshield. It seems to be getting louder, and more frequent. I've tried pulling the glove box out and tightening anything visible. I've tried WD40. Something is definately loose, it creaks all the time when I'm driving now. It sounds like plastic rubbing something, and its really driving me nuts. Any ideas before I pull the whole dash out?

Earth1

hey man, that's so weird, i have the same problem, but i think mine is comming from the windshield, i think it's loose or something, but yeah, about a week ago, i had real loud annoying tapping, squeaking comming from the passenger side neer the corner of the windsheild. it ended but being one of the clips being broken from the piller plastic cover. your saying yours is comming from the dashboard area. it would be that the windsheild might be loose like mine. maybe the pillar cover, or some other stuff in there. check those things about before you start ripping stuff out.

I had my friend who does auto glass take a look at it. I thought maybe the windshield was loose too. He said your glass should never come loose (unless the last installer really screwed up). Makes sense, if you've ever seen them replace a windshield, they really have to pry the seam/glass to get it out. That black poly-goop they use to install the glass is pretty tough stuff. Is the pillar cover that you mentioned the vertical plastic trim piece along the side of the windshield? If so, I took it off and drove around, and it wasn't the cause of the noise. :shrug:

Me too, and I have a (ghetto) solution that works. Grab a bit of small cardboard like a cereal box, then fold it up nice and tight into maybe a half inchx 3/4 inch bundle, then wrap that in a layer of electrical tape. Finally, stuff the sunovabieotch into the gap between the windshield and dash, and between the dash and A column. Shove it nice and hard to hide it. Believe it or not, it works like a charm. :D

Hey, I tried that one too a while back. Not only did the noise not go away, but I shoved the shimmy in there so hard that I extended the crack in my windshield by about 6". Looks like I'll be taking the dash out soon. I guess that just gives me a good excuse to hit the boneyard and try to find a dashboard that isn't cracked like mine.

Squeeks and creeks from interior parts are inevitable. I'm so used to most of them I don't even hear em anymore.

My advice is to crank the music up loud and you'll never be bothered while driving again! :D

Although, come to think of it, there is a creek back near the spare tire ( I still have the original spare mounted inside) that I can't pinpoint. That thing on occasion drives me nuts! :wacko:

Mine's doing the same thing. I have a squeak that seems to be coming from the passenger side dash or A-pillar. I haven't gotten around to hunting it down, though.

If I find out what it is, I'll be sure to post it in the "Pathfinder Common Problems/Fixes" forum. Looks like it's bugging a few of us.

Grease the two front hood bumpers with some white lithium grease. You might also unscrew them slightly so they make better contact with the front of the hood.

I know, sounds crazy, but I've seen it eliminate "interior" dash squeaks on a number of 'Finders (including mine).

Grease the two front hood bumpers with some white lithium grease. You might also unscrew them slightly so they make better contact with the front of the hood.

I know, sounds crazy, but I've seen it eliminate "interior" dash squeaks on a number of 'Finders (including mine).

Dude, you're kidding me. That does sound crazy, but I've got to give it a shot. I'm almost afraid to because if it works, I'll be trying to figure out why for weeks!

HAHA Rami...That's my favorite part of Office Space..(if it's possible to have a single favorite part!)

Yea loud music and thumping bass are the universal cover-up for any noise related problem that I've found. God bless BLINDSIDE for being the fix of my noise troubles this week!!!

:P

I haven't removed the dash yet. I'd start with the panels that cover the A pillar, and the surfaces where they meet with the dash. Mine speaks at the point where they meet in particular, but I've calmed it down a ton. Much easier to start with the small stuff. But the weather stripping solution works for tons of spots, like door panels, side panels, license plates, speaker grills, etc. etc. etc. Anywhere where 2 pieces may meet and greet, as well as sections of body panels that may tend to buzz and vibrate at full volume. Get creative (and cheap).

i found the cause of the squeaking in my dash! it was comming from the outside, it was comming from the metal around the windsheild, the metal at the bottom corner of the drive side. i took the corner piece off and put some thick gooie silicon in there, hopefully that will work keep it from squeaking. thought i share this.

• 4 years later...

Reviving this one from the dead.

Anyone ever actually make some progress into finding out what else this noise could be and a proven method to fixing it?