Does fiberglass stand up to gasoline?

Adelard of Bath

I have this hilarious 1984 toyota tercel 4wd wagon that i like to drive around for fun, anyway the gastank was leaking so I dropped it this evening, pretty easy actually, nice and small! But the leaky area is several square inches of what once was metal, now converted to swiss cheese. I was thinking of slapping some fiberglass on there. Anyone know if the fiberglass will be affected by the gasoline or it's fumes?

I don't really want to go get another gas tank if I can help it, this thing is a rust bucket waiting to fall apart and all repairs need to be done accordingly

Hey that's a good place to know about for future reference, and they have my tank and they show a pic of it and it is the same one, unfortunately the car isn't worth $209 heh heh

This thing got "Ming" undercoated early in it's life, and in Minnesota, we found out the hard way that undercoating does a good job of TRAPPING wet roadsalt between the undercoating and the car....20 years later, some guy like me buys the car and finds out, hey my rear axle is going to fall off! I was lucky to find some solid metal to weld to so I could fab new mounts back there....unibody, not much left, yay.

I'd say there are 2 things you shouldn't screw around with and try to ghetto rig in a car, but instead should be fixed right.. Brakes cause no matter how badly it runs, it needs to stop, and the fuel system, cause well, it has this nasty tendency to ignite. :takebow:

You could always weld on some fresh metal onto that tank to seal it up.

Make the patch large enough that you can weld it to solid clean metal and after you are done pressure test it.

Before you fire up the torch take the tank out of the car, drain out all the fuel and fill the tank up with water. Make sure its full all the way as any vapour might ruin your day. :D

I have done this when I was younger playing with $50 bush bashers with friends. We had a way of finding stumps and rebar sticking up of the ground just waiting to punch holes in sumps and tanks.

The good old days. :aok: