Rattling and Squeeking Noise

Cryphix

Ever since i can remember i have had this rattling noise in my engine. It's only when i flor it or some times it does it randomly. I have done some research and everything i found people said it could be the timing chain, but i'm not sure. Also i have just started to get the squeeking noise when i slow down. I think it could be the breaks but again i'm not sure.

First, welcome to NPORA!

Second, your '96 has a VG33E engine which has a timing belt, not a chain. I'll almost bet money that your rattle is coming from your exhaust heat shields rusting off. You can crawl under your Pathy when every thing is cool (before the engine has been started) and start bumping the exhaust pipes with your fist. A lot of us have completely removed all of the shielding from the catalytic converters all the way to the muffler. I have had mine removed for a couple of years now and have yet to "go up in flames".

Of course, this might not be the source of your rattle but, it is the easiest thing to check.

• Like 1

First, welcome to NPORA!

Second, your '96 has a VG33E engine which has a timing belt, not a chain. I'll almost bet money that your rattle is coming from your exhaust heat shields rusting off. You can crawl under your Pathy when every thing is cool (before the engine has been started) and start bumping the exhaust pipes with your fist. A lot of us have completely removed all of the shielding from the catalytic converters all the way to the muffler. I have had mine removed for a couple of years now and have yet to "go up in flames".

Of course, this might not be the source of your rattle but, it is the easiest thing to check.

Thanks so much for helping me and I will deffenitly check that out, and let you know if that fixes it :)

If you find a rattle in parts of the heat shield and don't want to remove it, or if you are like me an are too lazy to do so, you can put metal hose clamps around the problems areas and snug them down. I found that where the two halves of the shield bolt together breaks and then they rattle.

... or if you are like me an are too lazy to do so, you can put metal hose clamps around the problems areas and snug them down.

Dang it! I wish I was lazy enough to have thought to do that. Some of those heat shields (that weren't rusted yet) were hard to remove. I'm just guessing that is the OP's issue as he/she is located in Cleveland.

Dang it! I wish I was lazy enough to have thought to do that. Some of those heat shields (that weren't rusted yet) were hard to remove. I'm just guessing that is the OP's issue as he/she is located in Cleveland.

Thank you so much i got it working and it sounds so much better!! BTW I live in SC my brother made this and put ohio for some reason and i'm a he also :)

If you find a rattle in parts of the heat shield and don't want to remove it, or if you are like me an are too lazy to do so, you can put metal hose clamps around the problems areas and snug them down. I found that where the two halves of the shield bolt together breaks and then they rattle.

I thought you were just suppsoed to take them off... with a grinder ;)

I did it in like 30min, so it didn't take me to long. Also i didn't have it on a lift or anything so it was anoying having to lay on my back but whatever.

I did it in like 30min, so it didn't take me to long. Also i didn't have it on a lift or anything so it was anoying having to lay on my back but whatever.

It would have been easier with a couple inches of lift! Nudge-nudge-wink-wink-know what I mean? eusa_shifty.gif

It would have been easier with a couple inches of lift! Nudge-nudge-wink-wink-know what I mean? eusa_shifty.gif

LOL, ya i know i know, but i need some money :(