why would a throttle body have coolant flowing thru it?

ahardb0dy

Nissan engineers, (and a few other manufacturers) thought that it was a good/great/smart idea to have coolant flow through to warm the intake air and throttle body and start up, especially for cold climates.

There is much mized opinions on this as it also warms up the air passing through in summer time.

There is a tread on here where R50 owners have bypassed the hoses and claim they get better performance in the summer.

You should be able to bypass those hoses as well if you want to.

I had to bypass them because the right side fitting is supposed to have a metal nipple sticking up that connects to the thermal element but the nipple on mine broke off, junk yard did not have any sentra's like mine and couldn't find TB for sale on E-bay, can't afford a new one, so I picked up some brass fittings and made it so the coolant bypasses the TB but still goes to the thermo element. Now I need to order the 2 hoses that come from under the intake manifold and are supposed to connect to the TB, I had to cut 3/4" off of my 2 because the ends had cuts in them.

you can kind of see what I did in below pic:

2mp0cg7.jpg

thinking of cutting those 2 fittings off to get them out of the way of my bypass assembly

this whole fiasco started with me wanting to flush the cooling system to put antifreeze in since I was running staright water, since than had to replace radiator petcock (broke off in radiator!!), thermo switch (was bad all of a sudden not letting fan come on), thermostat ( figured why not it was never changed since I have had the car), a hose that I didn't even touch that goes from the thermostat housing to the bottom of the intake manifold (almost as much fun as doing the knock sensors on a Q45!!, And my AC still isn't working .

Edited by ahardb0dy