Auto transmission prob 89' Pathfinder

putawaywet

One part of a vehicle I never touch but might give it a try. I'll try to be brief.

Started noticing that when cold 'D' did not engage but if put in second for a few hundred feet it coul be shifted into drive and would be fine as long as it was warm. Sunday it began to shift in and out of overdrive (power) with out me pushing the button. I could feel a slip when in overdrive. Limped it home in second. Only a mile on a 20 mph road.

The trans. was rebuilt in 2006 and only has about 30,000 miles on it.

If a total rebuild is needed it could likely be nearing $2000. which I can absorb. But, this not being my primary truck do I want to drop that kind of money on a truck worth only 2500. to 3500.?

Is it worth chaning fluid and filter or does this sound more severe than that.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like symptoms of a failing transmission. This has been documented on Pathfinders with as low as 140,000 miles, usually happens between 170-200k though. I would keep an eye out for an 01-04 Xterra automatic, it is a direct bolt in, and quite beefed up over the stock Pathfinder transmission. Try and source one from a wrecking yard with a limited warranty...

Well, it doesn't sound good, but it might not be a goner yet. What condition is the tranny fluid? If it was rebuilt in 2006, 30,000 miles ago, I'm assuming it is the what was put in when it was rebuilt? Sometimes the stock cooler in the radiator can clog (fully or partially) and reduce the line pressure and/or increase the temp of the tranny (heat is bad for automagics) and I assume it gets pretty hot down in Tejas. Many of us bypass the stock cooler for an after market unit but that may not help you now. If it was my truck I would check the condition of the fluid (replacing it if it is old/brown) and make sure the stock cooler in the radiator is clear. You could also just bypass the cooler (hook the in and out lines together) with the current fluid to see if it drives/shifts any different, just dont drive it far!!

If this tranny is shot, definitely follow silvertons advice, those trannys are a heavy duty version of what you have now and will be far cheaper than a rebuild, especially if you do it yourself...

good luck and keep us informed.

B

Since it was rebuilt, there may be more particulate matter in the fluid due to break-in wear and any contamination from the rebuild process. Ideally you would have installed a Magnefine in-line filter to catch most of this wear material, or completely exchanged the fluid relatively early (15k or so) to evacuate the wear material.

A complete fluid exchange shouldn't cost very much, so I'd try that first.

Thanks so much for the input.

Going to go ahead and change filter and fluid. Thats something I can do myself.

I'll also try bypassing the cooler for a test. Not a bad idea since I replaced the radiator a few years ago.

Fluid looks good but will see whats in the pan when I pull it.

I decided if it is shot that I can pull the tranny myself and save some $ there. Ill keep an eye out for the Xterra tranny as well.

I'll keep yall' posted.

Again, thanks for the info.. This has been a very helpful forum.