Thermostat Question?

Guest jkopp

I think my thermostat is staying open all the time... the engine never warms to regular operating temperature, and the darn fan turns faster as I accelerate (gets a BIT annoying). Does this sound about right or is there something else I should investigate before replacing the thermo or do I even need to? I know its not bad for the engine, but I just lost a belt while on a long distance road trip. I know its partly my fault for not replacing the belt in a timely manner, but I think the overkill from the fan spinning all the darn time might have played some part in that. Any Suggestions most appreciated!

Justin :huh:

It usually sits about 1/3 of the way up maybe a little more now its probably half that. Its running cooler than normal. I just made a 500mi trip and it stayed about 1/6 of the way up (not where it should be) for the whole drive with the fan running with the engine. Is the fan clutch integrated into the water pump or separate, because I just replaced the water pump about a year ago?

:confused:

:confused:

Thanks for the help - Im a struggling engineering student trying to learn something and save a little money!

Justin

Sounds very much like a thermostat problem. I had a stuck thermomstat last winter, right in the middle of a work transfer and relocating the family. I had no time to change it as I was too busy and in between homes, I had to shop to work in. It was very cold, like -30. It was 6 hour commute on weekends. The vehicle I was driving at that time had an electric fan. I disconnected it and stuffed a large piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. That at least got me some heat. Not much but at least it was above freezing inside during the 6 hour trip. Upon removing the thermostat later, I did find it stuck open. My advise, change it. At least that's a good starting point. It's a cheap fix if you do it yourself. Also buy some extra antifreeze to top up when you put it all back together. While you're there inspect the upper rad hose. Might want to change that at the same time, seeing as you will have it partially removed.

The fan clutch is separate from the water pump, though it IS bolted to the water pump pulley. If your thermostat is sticking open, you'd definitely get the lower guage reading you're getting. If your temp guage sensor was going out, it might also do that to you, though.

Try this: with the engine cold, take off the radiator cap. Let the coolant settle and then start the engine. If it looks like it's constantly circulating, the thermostat's probably stuck open. If it looks pretty still until the engine warms up, then moves, the thermostat is probably working OK and your temp sensor might be at fault instead.

Good idea 88 about the circulating fluid with the rad cap off. One more question, if the gauge reads low, do you have much heat in the cab? Are you in a cold climate where you'd really notice a heat loss in the cab? Another thing you can do is let the vehicle fully warm up with the rad cap off. The system won't pressurize. Once it's fully warmed up, you can see that the temp gauge is not going any higher, you could put a thermometer in fluid from the rad cap opening. This you would give you an idea whether or not your gauge is out.

I will try taking the cap and see what happens in the morning. The thing is that I still get heat in the cab. I’m in TN so it’s not too cold (cold enough to need to use the heater). The temp gauge never reads what it should indicating that either that the gauge is out or the engine is never reaching normal operating temperature . . . I’m still not fully clear though on how the fan running in proportion to engine acceleration is playing a part in the lower gauge reading. Maybe someone could tie up some loose ends and fill me in on what I’m missing??? I am not going to pretend that I know how this entire system completely works :unsure::shrug: . I will try what you all suggested and report back.

Thanks again ... even if this doesn't end up saving me any green its still a great learning experience...Thanks! :beer:

I was not able to test the thermostat today...I have been stuck inside studying for 2 final exams that I have tomorrow morning -study- . I will check on the thermo tomorrow afternoon and post the results -alcohol- . Thanks again for all the help!

Justin

Yeah . . . sorry for the wait everyone - all my exams sucked a bunch! First the rad fluid did not seem to settle at all before I started it ....so it was hard to tell if the fluid was circulating when first started. Anyway, so when I took the rad cap off and then started the truck the fluid level appeared not to be moving at first, although like I said before it was still up in the top of the cap, maybe an inch below the very top and hard to see if the fluid was moving. I let the truck run until the temp gauge was about as high as it had been getting when Im driving. By this time the fluid level had risen higher and there was some steam coming off the top. I assume that all of this indicates that the thermo is working properly. I just drove to st. louis last night to visit family. It is much colder and the gauge did not rise quite as high as its previous deliquent position - there was however, still plenty of heat in the truck. So this still does not tell me much of anything, but Im sure you fellas can draw some conclusions about my situation. Thanks again for your time and help. still -alcohol- !!!!!

• 3 years later...
Yeah . . . sorry for the wait everyone - all my exams sucked a bunch! First the rad fluid did not seem to settle at all before I started it ....so it was hard to tell if the fluid was circulating when first started. Anyway, so when I took the rad cap off and then started the truck the fluid level appeared not to be moving at first, although like I said before it was still up in the top of the cap, maybe an inch below the very top and hard to see if the fluid was moving. I let the truck run until the temp gauge was about as high as it had been getting when Im driving. By this time the fluid level had risen higher and there was some steam coming off the top. I assume that all of this indicates that the thermo is working properly. I just drove to st. louis last night to visit family. It is much colder and the gauge did not rise quite as high as its previous deliquent position - there was however, still plenty of heat in the truck. So this still does not tell me much of anything, but Im sure you fellas can draw some conclusions about my situation. Thanks again for your time and help. still -alcohol- !!!!!

Do you have any pics of replacing the t-stat?

I agree with everyone else above, sounds like the fan clutch is bad. The fan clutch went bad in my 95 last year after almost 180,000 miles. When you are on the gas, does the engine sound different, like it is sucking in large amounts of air? You can tell very simply if the fan clutch is stuck based upon the sound that the engine makes.

Zack