Rebuilding the vg30e

JLF90'sfinderSE

Depends upon what you are building. Most machine shops will check the bore condition, the crank bore to check for anything not aligned, and may check cam bore in the heads to make sure they are straight. This can all change if you are doing a more-than-stock build. What all are you doing for a rebuild?

well im rebuilding my vg30e and i was wondering if anyone who has done this could tell me what they had to get done to the engine at the machine shop my engine has 250,000 miles on it compression is good gust think its time for a rebuild

thanks in advance

I haven't done it but I do know that there is a gasket and seal kit that Nissan sells. It should have every seal and gasket that you need for the rebuild. That's all I can chime in. :my2cents:

These things are known to make it to 500k without a rebuild, just a few timing belts and maybe lifters. Unless yours has been truly thrashed, a little cleaning would probably make a whole lot more sense.

The farthest I've been into mine was doing the drive belts, so I'm no help beyond that.

250K, it's probably due for a rebuild. I had my machine shop hone the cylinder walls for new rings, mic and polish the crank to run stock-sized aftermarket bearings (cheap route), deck the heads, hot tank, new freeze plugs, and resurfaced the flywheel for $100. If you wanted to run new factory Nissan bearings you'll have to have the crank reground as their replacement bearings are smaller. You may want to have the heads rebuilt or find a really low mileage set to throw on and maybe look in to a new oil pump since they're relatively cheap and at 250K it's time.

Thanks Precise1.

I guess it depends on how the engine was used and what happened to it in its life time. My truck is past the 250k mark and it still runs great. 500k is probably a better rebuild interval. :lol:

My next plan is to put a VG34E in it but I have to find a donor first. Before I do that, I have some other minor nonsense to get out of the way first.

What needs to be machined depends on the condition on what you have... the things I had the machine shop do when I did my rebuild were: bore and hone cylinders (I think I went 0.5 mm over, though this was mostly because it was easier for me to source those pistons), deck heads, regrind valve seats. I think I spent most of the time in my rebuild doing inspection, which required quite a lot of precision equipment... numerous micrometers, telescoping gauges, dial indicator and stand etc. Specs are in the FSM...

In the end though, I think I spent WAY too much doing a full rebuild. Unfortunately if you replace everything you should, it costs a lot. I also got burned by not replacing the oil pump and then having to do it later.

It was a super instructive experience though, so I'm not sure I actually regret it... just an expensive education.