never take your eyes off the road..

captandy

Agreed, although what helped him straighten out was that he clipped the side of the car behind the semi enough to stop the slide. Watch it closely.

Unfortunately, that made the car go into a slide...

Well, at least only one person died and that must have been quick. Be careful everyone!!

B

Saw that over at Z31P a few days ago, horrible stuff. If anyone thinks that's fake you've got a serious brain malfunction going on. That's as real as it gets.

As real as it gets and happens more often than you expect. Looks like a video shot in Russia. Dash cams are extremely popular there. They were going upward of 60 mph when the driver of the Nissan Navara drifted into the snow bank slush pile and lost control.

Edited by Tungsten

When I drove from Calgary down to California I had a similar experience in Utah, but I just managed to control it & there was no semi. It happens when your wheels leave the cleared asphalt & hit that pile of slush in the center of the road (as happened in the video, everything is fine up until then. Once your vehicle starts to slide in that center slush it's pretty much out of control & very hard to get back onto the cleared asphalt. I was very lucky as I only just brushed the center slush & just fishtailed a little but the Ford Explorer behind me went into a total 360 spin. They didn't hit anything luckily, everyone was only doing about 30 mph & nobody was hurt, but scared the @!*% out of me anyway!

I hit the slush piles before. Indeed they do tend to want to guide your vehicle in different directions even in 4WD. When that starts happening just take your foot off the gas pedal reduce the throttle but do not hit the brakes. Steer away from the slush very slowly and you will be back on the nice clean part of the road. 99% of accidents happen from people going into panic mode and steering away too fast or mashing the brakes too quickly. The best thing to do in the winter is find an empty parking lot and practice some emergency maneuvers so you get a feel for the vehicle.

Edited by Tungsten

I hit the slush piles before. Indeed they do tend to want to guide your vehicle in different directions even in 4WD. When that starts happening just take your foot off the gas pedal but do not hit the brakes. Steer away from the slush very slowly and you will be back on the nice clean part of the road. 99% of accidents happen from people going into panic mode and steering away too fast or mashing the brakes too quickly. The best thing to do in the winter is find an empty parking lot and practice some emergency maneuvers so you get a feel for the vehicle.

Snapping the throttle shut is also bad. That's how I ended up doing a 270* spin in to the center median from the outside lane after panicking on some black ice.

Taking your foot off of the gas in a manual transmission will make enough of a braking effect for the back end to come out. Same goes for downshifting without rev-matching. The best thing to do is steer and then slow the hell down after you've hopefully saved it.

Sorry B! Just trying to teach the kid simple math and physics! Also, I was mistaken on semi trailer weight. I guess they can upwards of 100,000 pounds...

legally here a 4axle can be 55,500KG(122000lbs), and a class B train can be 62,500 (137,000lbs)

That after math looks pretty bad... nothing but a frame left

Snapping the throttle shut is also bad. That's how I ended up doing a 270* spin in to the center median from the outside lane after panicking on some black ice.

OK yes I should have said slowly reduce the throttle but don't let go. If you instantly let go it will down-shift to a lower gear and screw you up.

Taking your foot off of the gas in a manual transmission will make enough of a braking effect for the back end to come out. Same goes for downshifting without rev-matching. The best thing to do is steer and then slow the hell down after you've hopefully saved it.

This is true as well. I don't have a lot of experience driving a stick but I think the best thing to do with a stick would be to depress the clutch instead and the vehicle free-wheel out of the slush while turning it out of there.