Switching out drive flanges for auto locking hubs.

rwd5021

Just like the title says, is it possible to switch the drive flanges on an r50 for auto locking hubs from a wd21? Anybody tried yet? I have warn hubs on the r50 now, but want to switch them to my wd21. I know that'll work fine but thought maybe I can throw the autos on the r50 instead of the drive flanges so the cv's aren't spinning for no reason. Everything should fit I think... The warns can switch back and forth so I don't see why the stock autos wouldn't be as well.

Yeah, I had the same idea between our WD21 and R50. Unfortunately, direct bolt on fit is a no go. IIRC, on the WD21 spindle nose there is a slot (or crenelation) through it that some tabs in the auto hubs slot into. The spindle nose on the R50 do not have this feature so the hubs can not be seated properly and wouldn't have a flange kept captive which I can only imagine is important to the functioning of the auto hubs.

The good news is that the feature can be ground into the R50 spindle nose. It would be easiest removing the part and using a machine tool, but I recall thinking that it wouldn't be all that difficult using an angle grinder and a dremel if you have patience and a steady hand. You would want a thread file to clean up the threads too.

Let me see if I can dig up the pictures took, it was a while ago...

Bingo!! Yeah, I had it right...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25526&st=0&p=469298&hl=hubs&fromsearch=1entry469298

B

Edited by Precise1
linkypoo

Update!!

This 1996 R50 appears to have the required crenelations to run auto locking hubs, when my wife's 1999.0 R50 does not. Perhaps it will work without modification on the first few years (96 & 97?) of R50? :shrug:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=32685

B

Well mine is a 98 so hopefully they just swap over, the only power tool I have yet is a sawzall. Thanks for the links, I will read through it later when I get home from work.