Running wires

rgallant

Hello all.

I have been struggling with where to get wire from the engine compartment to the interior.

I am installing a new VHF radio and it is recommended to run power direct from the battery, and keep it isolated from the fuses etc.

I have a 5 speed 98 R50 with air just to add more stuff under the hood, I have found no obvious way in from the engine compartment.

Any Suggestions, I have a temp run under the hood weather strip to the passenger door and in, but that is hardly a long term solution although it works.

On my Qx4 there is a little plate on the firewall, drivers side almost against the fender to the right of the brake resevoir. It was just a little plate held by 2 M8 nuts, that aparently did nothing. I took the plate out and its big enough for my 4 3/0 welding wire runs to fit in there

Maybe the plate is used in the 5spd version. Worth a check

Well that won't work on a 5 speed,that is where the clutch master cylinder is. But it looks some wire goes through the fender space into the cab in that area so that might work, the other option might be drilling a hole in that area as there is not much there.

Thanks for the suggestion

There is a rubber grommet for the factory harness under the heat duct that is under the passenger seat. If you remove a sheet metal plate under the floor and poke a hole through the grommet you'll have lots of room with no drilling needed. I ran two 2 gauge wires through for an inverter and just siliconed around them after. I found this after giving up on getting anything through the dash.

There is a rubber grommet for the factory harness under the heat duct that is under the passenger seat. If you remove a sheet metal plate under the floor and poke a hole through the grommet you'll have lots of room with no drilling needed. I ran two 2 gauge wires through for an inverter and just siliconed around them after. I found this after giving up on getting anything through the dash.

Excellent I will take a look for that

I just ran some wires for my lights last night and used the rubber grommet behind the intake bout mid firewall that the factory harness runs through into the dash. Ran 8 wires thru it with no problem. Used a box cutter to get a starting hole ran a wire clothes hanger from the inside out into the engine bay tied my first wire on and used it to pull the rest back thru. Im gonna try to put some pics up of my lights/bar installation soon.

Do you have any pictures? I probably need the same work recently, thanks.

I just ran some wires for my lights last night and used the rubber grommet behind the intake bout mid firewall that the factory harness runs through into the dash. Ran 8 wires thru it with no problem. Used a box cutter to get a starting hole ran a wire clothes hanger from the inside out into the engine bay tied my first wire on and used it to pull the rest back thru. Im gonna try to put some pics up of my lights/bar installation soon.