Front drive shaft boot questions

shaggy

Hi guys. A few questions about my '95 4WD PF: a/ How major a job is it to replace a front drive shaft boot? b/ is there some kind of aftermarket 'split' boot? That would make the damned job a piece of cake.

Finally, c/ as I won't be needing to use 4WD for quite some time, can I throw in some CV grease and wrap the boot up to keep the dirt out (actually it's not that bad) until I get a chance to do the replacement. Presumably the front axles won't be under power, or is this considered a critical part, even if only operating in 2WD?

thanks! yeah I know I'm a lazy bastard :blush02:

Shaggy

YEP! There is a "split boot" that makes the job a cake walk. I used one ~ 40,000 km (30,000 miles) ago. Holding up like a charm. I think I got mine from 4x4part.com. Not sure of the price...as that was a couple of years ago. Highly suggested!!

Assuming both hubs are unlocked/transfer case in 2H, yep, the front shafts shouldn't spin. You can jack it up and spin the front wheels to verify. I'd just wrap a whole lot of duct tape around the existing boot for now, without extra grease. If there's dirt in there now, more grease will just mean more cleanup to get the dirt out when you put the new boot on.

Thanks very much guys for your responses. I feel a lot better! I'll find a couple of those 'zip' boots (I see now that's what they're called), then I'll have to get off my butt and do all the other maintenance stuff I should be taking care of!

take care

Shaggy

Thanks very much guys for your responses. I feel a lot better! I'll find a couple of those 'zip' boots (I see now that's what they're called), then I'll have to get off my butt and do all the other maintenance stuff I should be taking care of!

take care

Shaggy

Damn, 4x4 wants $20+ shipping for USPS Priority, for ONE boot ($24 for the boot, PLUS over $20 shipping). Anybody bought 'em off 'thecvman' on fleebay? Seems like a no brainer - total w/shipping $30, vs almost $45.

Shaggy

Edited by shaggy

$$$ are no object when it comes to my sweet ride! :handlebars:

Yeah, but with the money I save I can afford a new set of fuzzy dice! :lol:

I hate getting ripped off, especially on S&H. Luckily, there is competition P...

Shaggy