Tranny problem

MightyN2

Ok thoughtbi would give it another shot. I have a 95 se 4x4 v6 with auto tranny. I was goin down the highway at 70mph and the truck kinda stumbled a lil then picked right back up. Kept goin about another 5 or 6 miles and then came to stop. Went to pull off and it shuddered and made some crazy noises and didnt want to go. I got it to move enuff to get to a empty lot. I checked the fluid and it was full, didnt smell funny and it looked good. There were no leaks anywhere. I let it cool for an hour and then tried to drive it. It had no reverse and only worked in what I thought was 1st and 2nd. I changed the fluid and filter when I got it home. There wasnt any metal or anything in the pan. I have been driving it since then with no reverse or high gear. I only have 2nd and 3rd. I have to let it get up to 3500 rpms and let off throttle to get it to shift. The 4 wheel drive works great still and motor still runs great. I have been driving it this way for about 3 months now. Just lookin for any ideas on what it could be. I have tried everything except pulling the tranny out to rebuild it. I got some great info from guys on here a couple weeks ago but I had no luck with anything yet. Just wondering if I may have missed something that might help.

Ok thoughtbi would give it another shot. I have a 95 se 4x4 v6 with auto tranny. I was goin down the highway at 70mph and the truck kinda stumbled a lil then picked right back up. Kept goin about another 5 or 6 miles and then came to stop. Went to pull off and it shuddered and made some crazy noises and didnt want to go. I got it to move enuff to get to a empty lot. I checked the fluid and it was full, didnt smell funny and it looked good. There were no leaks anywhere. I let it cool for an hour and then tried to drive it. It had no reverse and only worked in what I thought was 1st and 2nd. I changed the fluid and filter when I got it home. There wasnt any metal or anything in the pan. I have been driving it since then with no reverse or high gear. I only have 2nd and 3rd. I have to let it get up to 3500 rpms and let off throttle to get it to shift. The 4 wheel drive works great still and motor still runs great. I have been driving it this way for about 3 months now. Just lookin for any ideas on what it could be. I have tried everything except pulling the tranny out to rebuild it. I got some great info from guys on here a couple weeks ago but I had no luck with anything yet. Just wondering if I may have missed something that might help.

Sorry man but your tranny sounds like its shot. Reverse is the first to go. I'd start trying to find a junked Xterra and pull that one to replace yours. But you could go through the factory manuals pinned in this forum. I think it has a diagnostic procedure to go through for each gear.

Make sure it's not just a clog in your tranny cooler, that could reduce the pressure enough to screw with things. A new (clean) cooler might help. Though, if you've been driving it for a while like this, it might well have buggered the clutches.

that's exactly what happened to mine. Minus the shuddering on the highway and stuff like that. Actually, I still had reverse. I had 2nd and 3rd gear only. No matter what gear I put it in, it would start out in 2nd and sluggishly accelerate.

It might have been a fixable problem at one point, but 3 months down the road is a different story. Get a used one out of a wd22 as said above or slap a 5speed in there.

that's exactly what happened to mine. Minus the shuddering on the highway and stuff like that. Actually, I still had reverse. I had 2nd and 3rd gear only. No matter what gear I put it in, it would start out in 2nd and sluggishly accelerate.

It might have been a fixable problem at one point, but 3 months down the road is a different story. Get a used one out of a wd22 as said above or slap a 5speed in there.

What did u do to fix yours. I would love to have a 5speed but I dont know how hard it would be to put it. I know i would need the pedals and slave cylinder but what about my computer. Would my cross member and drive shaft still work. What year exterra would I need to look for if I went that route.

I didn't fix it. I swapped it for a 5speed.

At the time, I was certain it was broken. Since I've done the swap, I've had some doubt that maybe, possibly it could have been saved. Maybe the cooler had a clog, and all I needed to do was get rid of that clog?

Eh. I don't really care anymore because the 5speed is sooooo much fun. I don't even remember driving it with an automatic. Never looked back.

I didn't fix it. I swapped it for a 5speed.

At the time, I was certain it was broken. Since I've done the swap, I've had some doubt that maybe, possibly it could have been saved. Maybe the cooler had a clog, and all I needed to do was get rid of that clog?

Eh. I don't really care anymore because the 5speed is sooooo much fun. I don't even remember driving it with an automatic. Never looked back.

How hard was the swap to do. My concern is weather or not I would have issues with the computer in my truck. did u get thevparts as needed or did u have a parts truck to rob. I had a 5 speed in my hardbody truck and I loved it.

What year exterra would I need to look for if I went that route.

You'd want an '01-'04 Xterra automatic. '00 is the same as your stock transmission.