Buying injectors

Dietrich

My 92 started misfiring on start up for about half a minute, then the msfire became permanent. Since it was absolutely consistent I figured it had to be an injector. I removed the upper plenum and checked the injectors and sure enough, one shows no continuity and will not open when I apply voltage.

So what are the latest success stories in getting replacement injectors? Rebuilt or new? I'm not exactly made of money, but this PF, with about 165K miles, runs great and is in very good shape, so it would be better for me to put in extra money if replacing all injectors is a recommendation. The other injectors seem fine but after twenty years how long will that last (I know, who can say)? Can someone help me with a good supplier and brand names? Any advice on what to look out for will also be appreciated.

Thanks, this forum has been a great help.

Man, I love my Pathfinder! One of the best cars I've ever owned.

I ended up replacing all 6 of my injectors. I went with rebuilds from Lordco ($35ea.)new ones were close to $100. to get them bench tested & cleaned it cost double what it cost to replace them completely. I've had them in for about 4 months now and have not had a problem at all. besides, depending on where or whom you go through to get them, make sure they have a decent warranty so (even though it's a complete PITA to get to them) you can always get a new 'rebuild'. and while you're in there replace the o-rings and use a @!*% ton of white lithium for pressing them back in. Maybe consider replacing all of them while you're in there as Murphy's Law states that if you replace one aanother will go shortly after and so on.....

Good Luck, and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Edited by TugboatTony

I had a failing injector on our 1999.0 R50. I contacted NOW (nissan only wrecker http://www.ninfiniti.com/ ) and bought a set of used injectors, both fuel rails and the pressure regulator for $160 IIRC. I only replaced the one and have the other 5 set aside as spares. Worked fine for 1.5 years and 10,000 miles so far.

The biggest concerns are to make sure the injectors you get are color matched (the body will have a dab of paint on the top, visible when the wiring connector is removed) and that you replace the O-rings with new ones. Do not deviate from these two things and you should be fine.

Whether you go with brand new injectors, rebuilt or used, I would replace just the one if it is on the passenger side (easy to get to) or all three if it is on the drivers side (have to remove the plenum to get to them). I'm sure you see the logic of that and if you do remove the plenum, make sure to tighten the valve cover screws on that side and the fuel rail hose clamps as well... ;)

B

I had my injectors cleaned and tested for about $25 each. One was not up to spec after that and I replaced it with a Nissan one at extreme cost because I was in a rush. Then I tore an o-ring reinstalling and had a cylinder fill with fuel. So my biggest advice is to use some sort of rubber compatible lube when pushing the injectors back in and be gentle.

Thanks for the help so far. Do you guys have any recomended suppliers?

As for installing them, and getting the o-ings to seat, I'm toying with the idea of inserting the injector, then pulling it right out to see if the o-ring is OK or squashed. I figure, if it gets squashed, I'll know right away. Much better than putting the whole thing back together and finding outit didn't seat. If it isn't squashed, it went in fine once it will most likely go in again, right?

I had no issue of damaged o-rings that I know of, but then I only changed one. It seemed to pop in just fine when pressing down and rotating it slightly. Did I get lucky? :shrug:

I cant recall if I lubed the o-rings with engine oil or not. If they are impervious to gas, oil cant hurt them so no reason not to...

B

When I did it there was a big difference with lube, probably I personally wouldn't pull it out again to check, because I kinda think there is just a small chance of tearing each time you put it in. Or maybe there is just a big chance with no lube, and no chance with lube. I used astroglide because I didn't know whether to use oil, but maybe Precise is right about the gas being about the same as oil theory. Man, this post could probably be easily misinterpreted.

• 4 months later...