smell fuel around gas tank area

Chriskaw440

with my 1990 SE I always smell gas around the rear of the vehicle mostly from the passenger side where the gas filling area is...even sniffing around the wheel well. If I park in my garage overnight, the next morning

it has filled the garage with fuel smell/vapor so that tells me it must be a small leak somewhere. I replaced the gas cap with a brand new one but no difference. I am not familiar with the

EVAP system or charcoal canister on this old of a model. All I have seen online refers to much newer Pathfinder models.

When I remove the cap to fill up it always has that usual "whoosh" sound of pressure escaping once it's unscrewed.

I removed the access cover from above the fuel tank (in the hatch storage area under the carpet) to see the fuel pump assembly and it all looks tight with no obvious cracks in the seal or lines.

Any suggestions? thanks as always.

-Chris

with my 1990 SE I always smell gas around the rear of the vehicle mostly from the passenger side where the gas filling area is...even sniffing around the wheel well. If I park in my garage overnight, the next morning

it has filled the garage with fuel smell/vapor so that tells me it must be a small leak somewhere. I replaced the gas cap with a brand new one but no difference. I am not familiar with the

EVAP system or charcoal canister on this old of a model. All I have seen online refers to much newer Pathfinder models.

When I remove the cap to fill up it always has that usual "whoosh" sound of pressure escaping once it's unscrewed.

I removed the access cover from above the fuel tank (in the hatch storage area under the carpet) to see the fuel pump assembly and it all looks tight with no obvious cracks in the seal or lines.

Any suggestions? thanks as always.

-Chris

Mine did that same thing last year it ended up being the evap line going from the tank to the charcoal canister.

The line cracked alittle on top of tank so the gas vapor was coming up from it.

A easy way to test is to dissconect 1 line at a time from the evap canistor and use a small smoke machine used to test vaccumm lines.

autozone and most places sell and rent them i picked mine up from harbor freight for $20.

Or if you smoke i have seen people just blow cigeratte smoke down the vaccumm line and use that to check for leaks.

For me at least thats what it was just check evap lines good.

Mine did that same thing last year it ended up being the evap line going from the tank to the charcoal canister.

The line cracked alittle on top of tank so the gas vapor was coming up from it.

A easy way to test is to dissconect 1 line at a time from the evap canistor and use a small smoke machine used to test vaccumm lines.

autozone and most places sell and rent them i picked mine up from harbor freight for $20.

Or if you smoke i have seen people just blow cigeratte smoke down the vaccumm line and use that to check for leaks.

For me at least thats what it was just check evap lines good.

where is the evap canistor on this model....back by the tank or in the engine compartment somewhere.... I've done A LOT of work on my Pathy but never ever seen the evap stuff :)

thanks!

where is the evap canistor on this model....back by the tank or in the engine compartment somewhere.... I've done A LOT of work on my Pathy but never ever seen the evap stuff :)

thanks!

The evap/charcoal canistor is on the drivers side fender next to the washer fluid tank.

Its a black canister with 3 vaccum lines on top lines on top.

1 line goes to the intake hose

1 line goes to the gas tank

1 line goes from the gas tank

Edited by wd21overland

If it seems it really is coming more from the outside of the vehicle at the fuel filler door then one of the rubber evap lines on the filler neck is cracked/rotted or has a loose connection from age or your filler neck is rusting. The smell will be strongest right after a fill up and will go away after about 1/3 a tank.

Second thing to look at would be the seal for the fuel pump. This would give you more of a smell from the rear cargo area floor.

Third to check would be the evap lines from the evap canister to the fuel pump being old/rotted/cracked.

With the above two the smell will not go away after the fuel level goes down as with the first scenerio.

If it seems it really is coming more from the outside of the vehicle at the fuel filler door then one of the rubber evap lines on the filler neck is cracked/rotted or has a loose connection from age or your filler neck is rusting. The smell will be strongest right after a fill up and will go away after about 1/3 a tank.

Second thing to look at would be the seal for the fuel pump. This would give you more of a smell from the rear cargo area floor.

Third to check would be the evap lines from the evap canister to the fuel pump being old/rotted/cracked.

With the above two the smell will not go away after the fuel level goes down as with the first scenerio.

I'll go light a match and hold it along the lines until........ :)

thanks for the info all!

My truck used to smell like gas, especially around the back. My dad found a leaking gas line going between the injector rails, and tightened the clamp, and I haven't smelled gas anywhere around it since. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but it's something to check anyway.

My truck used to smell like gas, especially around the back. My dad found a leaking gas line going between the injector rails, and tightened the clamp, and I haven't smelled gas anywhere around it since. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but it's something to check anyway.

Yeah I will have to just take some time and do a full out inspection as best I can and look for the things everyone has suggested soon as I can......and maybe install an Improbability Drive Unit too while I'm at it.