After SFD installation - Vibrations through steering wheel during a stop

Timmons

So after I had installed the SFD lift, noticed vibrations through the steering wheel during a stop. I have changed the rotors, break pads, alignment, tire balance, bleed the brakes etc. Still have the same problem. I do notice a lot of bump steering. Has anyone had any vibration issues during a stop through the steering wheel after their SFD lift? What am i missing?

Thanks,

Are your cv's in good shape? is your lift 4+2 ? Mine never did that . Did you get it lined up afterwards ?

4+2. The half shafts are in great shape. I have warn hubs and unlocked them so that's not it. Alignment completed.

When are you gonna post pics of your rig after the SFD install??? I've been following your posts, and curious to see how your rig turned out. (I almost think it doesn't exist?!?). I'm still waiting to get my SFD Kit.....probably within the next couple months! I hope you figure this out! GOOD LUCK!

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

I had this happen with the old front diff. Before I changed to 4.6 gears. I think that the shaft inside the diff was bent or twisted but never tore it down to check. I just swapped the whole thing and never had a problem again.It didn't have anything to do with SFD. That is when I swapped diffs when I put SFD on ???

Edited by PaMountianbiker

I had this happen with the old front diff. Before I changed to 4.6 gears. I think that the shaft inside the diff was bent or twisted but never tore it down to check. I just swapped the whole thing and never had a problem again.It didn't have anything to do with SFD. That is when I swapped diffs when I put SFD on ???

I don't remember bending the diff at all but maybe the angle change of the shaft?? Didn't have the issue until in installed the SFD. Nothing touched the shaft during the install that i can remember.

I had exacerbated vibration while braking at hwy speed after I went to 33" tires (I had 31's for many months after the SFD). I recently changed out my rotors (and pads) and the vibration is completely gone. I had suspected warped rotors so that was my reason for change out. Seems to have been my issue. Not sure why it was so noticable with the tire size change though - I never really thought it through. Any ways, just a thought.

rotate your tires and see if it helps ???

While driving home from work yesterday I was thinking about this thread and wondered if a wheel became unbalanced. I know I had thrown a weight once in my old Jeep and my tire felt like it was bouncing while driving (definitely felt that in the steering wheel) until I got it re-balanced. Sorry, just another thought.

Kind of on a similar note as PaMtnBiker.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Well checked the steering rack, tie rode ends, pads and rotors replaceed. Still the same vibration through the steering wheel during a stop.

"during a stop" defined as when you are braking, but now when your driving? I don't have vibrations... I have a wobble, but I know I need to check the tire balance...just have to find time to drop it off at Discount Tire for an hour. :/

• Like 1

Hi,

My pathy developed such vibration when braking after +- 4 months after the sfd installation. I thought the problem was something related to the brake system, but finally was that the blocks were becoming loose. Re-tightning bolts and and weldings the blocks (for extra security) solved the problem.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

I'm interested in what this turns out to be, I have the same issue in my unlifted pathfinder. The new struts seemed to help a bit, but haven't eliminated the pretty strong vibrations I get when slowing down. Hopefully it's only a warped rotor, more on the to-do list.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a vibration when I did the SFD, and 35's. I changed my rack bushings, CV's and Strut mounts....Turned out it was just my rotors... (D'oh) 40 bux later and I was good to go. Simple answer but sometimes overlooked.